Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Overheard

Sunday Anna gave me a list with a few items on it and I went to Publix.

At the checkout counter I overheard the cutesy teenage blond tell a cutesy teenage brunette sack-person that she couldn't talk because every time she did .. and she mumbled something that sounded like "my toes come off." The brunette said, "Your toes come off?"

Yeah! That is what I thought she said too.

Slower she said, "I can't talk, every time I talk my TOTAL is OFF."

Now, that makes sense.

I chuckled to myself and picked up my sack of the several items and walked out. When I got home Anna said I bought sour cream instead of cottage cheese. I looked and the list plainly said cottage cheese.

One chuckle backfire.

I better keep my mind on what I'm doing or I might lose my toes too.

6 comments:

kenju said...

HAHA!

Anonymous said...

When teens talk, especially the blondies, they usually throw in several "likes" among their words....

Eddie said...

"Like" is used so often now I like many times don't even notice it.
Like on The Today Show in the past year a lady was interviewed that had made her mission to make people aware of like how often "like" is used in every day sentences.
She gave the viewers a challenged the next time you see yourself about to use the word "like" to see what you can substitute for "like" instead.
I tried doing that for a while, but like the novelty soon wore off.

Suzanne said...

I am always mortified by how often I say "like," and I ain't no teenager any more. It's been a habit for too long now, though, and impossible to break. Worse, however, is when I say "dude." I only started that recently and I have no idea where it came from, but it is really embarrassing.

Unknown said...

hey!hey!hey! like, steve....like, watch the denegration of us like, blondies...

Eddie said...

Suzanne & Bird,
I catch myself saying "like" and other cath-words or phrases, like I'm sure you have noticed.
So, far I haven't automatically picked up "You know". Some people can't so through a sentence without saying "you know"
It bugs me when I see a TV news person asking a witness to something and the person keeps saying "you know" ... well,if we know already, why are we bothing listening to you telling we know?