Thursday, November 30, 2006

THE TOMMYKNOCKERS by Stephen King

I progress through a book slowly. I probably read slowly but I think the biggest reason I slowly go from beginning to end of a book is that I am always juggling more than one book.

THE TOMMYKNOCKERS was 747 pages. That is a lot of pages for a person like me. I forgot when I started the book, but it wasn’t last week or I don’t even think it was last month – but it may have been.

As you may recall I was had THE TOMMYKNOCKERS book with me when I went to my neurologist and he said he read it also and he gave me a very quick short sentence description and from the beginning to the ending. I walked out of the doctor’s office telling Anna, “Well, so much for reading the book now.”

But I did. The well meaning doctor did not tell me the details – the details would have taken all day. That is what is so good about a Stephen King book is the endless details that do not mean anything much, but it is entertaining to be exposed to.

It is about a flying saucer that landed in Maine (Stephen King’s home state) millions of years ago, the discovery, the “dig” or the excavation of the space craft and the changes of the local citizens during this time.

Some parts of the book got a little far-fetched for my comprehension and I had to back up and reread some segments more than once, and I still wasn’t sure I got the jest.

I like the way Stephen King can put himself into each character. I think he magically possesses the character he just made up and thinks like that person thinks. If there are two people in a conflict he possesses each of them at different time – first he takes character number one and possesses him and puts words with feelings from mind, then he retorts what character number one said when he possesses character number two. It is almost as if he is creating lives and then plays uses them for a chess game.

The details and the characters are done so well – to fit profiles of people so well it is just worth reading. It was a good book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne said...

My favorite books by King are "It" and "The Stand." "It" is over a thousand pages, but so worth it. I just fell in love with how he is with the kids in the the book. Last year, King won some award for writing, and some snobby types protested. I thought he deserved it. The man knows people and human nature and communicates it so well.

Eddie said...

I read "The Stand" and it was good while I read it - but I have a bad retention and later I found I get it confused with another one of King's books, which I can't recall... surprise.
"It" I haven't read. I think on the cover is a evil looking clown - correct? I may read it someday based on what you said.
You are right, Stephen King is an excellent story teller and know people's characteristics... and it all comes off like he is sharing all this with YOU... not 40,000,000 people - just YOU.

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

Eddie said...

Anonymous,
I didn't know Paris Hilton sung for a living. Well, at least she came up the hard way, paying those blood, sweat, and tears dues.

I don't know about what to suggest for Christmas, I can't even figure that out for my family.