Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Short-Lived Thanksgiving Tradition

For a two or three years in a row, when I was in the Boy Scouts, Troop 132, on Thanksgiving Day we ushered the Freshman University of Georgia and Georgia Tech game in Atlanta.

Mostly we would stand watching the line and if we saw someone with a good camera we were to report it to the authorities. It was more or less a free ride to get in the game and see all the excitement of college football.

Getting there each year we went through Fraternity Row and I remember amazed that these students could be so free… holding signs out their windows saying “The Hell With Georgia” or “The Hell with UGA”. And students actually standing out front of their frat houses opening drinking beer!

Also, all the Tech Freshman at that time had to wear a little yellow Georgia Tech hat with the Tech “T” on it and the bill turned up which also said the famous “The Hell With Georgia.”

Our Thanksgiving dinner those years was a famous Hot Dog at the Varsity Drive-In (World’s Largest) that we would get after the game when our scout master would take us there. I think one year we may have went to the famous Yellow Jacket Drive-In.

The Yellow Jacket finally went out business. I remember there was a black curb hop there famous for citing all the flavors of ice cream they offered. He could cite it frontward or backwards. That was the thing with the black car hops, the better they entertained, the better the tips. That could be demeaning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ET, I wish I could share the same sweet memories of days gone by.
"MHS 1959"

Eddie said...

Anonymous,
I have my hands on a crystal ball. I get vibres that your initials are SNC.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I will NEVER eat again as long as I live... I'm STUFFED. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

No, ET, SNC are not my initials. I just happened upon your site somehow. And, since I don't want to ruin your delightful memories of yesteryear with my own "not so nice" memories of Georgia Tech, I'll give you a link. After you read it, I'd appreciate knowing if you had any knowledge way back then of this kind of violence. Thanks!
GTRV
http://georgia-tech-rape.blogspot.com/2006/11/georgia-tech-rape-drug-rape-is-nothing.html

Eddie said...

Anonymous,
I went for the http://georgia-tech-rape.blogspot.com/2006/11/georgia- that you posted and the system could not find it.
MM?

Anonymous said...

hmmm, strange that the url didn't work, but I'm new at blogs, and probably did something wrong.

I think I'll email you instead.