Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Me and My Timex Watch

I love my Timex Watch! It is digital, which just seems more exact. It has a stop watch, 30 lap things, timer, it tells the day and the date, and illuminates if I press the right button in the middle of night to see what time it is. What more could I want? I have had it about 5 or 6 years.

A few weeks ago the watch band broke so while looking for a new band I wore another Timex – this one is my heart monitor watch, which is also digital and it has a stop watch. But it doesn’t have an illumination button to press, or the day and date at a glance.

Several weeks ago when I began searching for a watch band a jeweler told me he didn’t have the band for that watch, he may have to order it, which, in the long run would probably cost more than the watch, I might as well buy a new one. I was horrified.

Then, if I bought a new Timex with the same features (which was $29.95) what would I do with the old Timex? No way! Surely, some store in the state of Georgia had the watch band I needed. I just needed to look.

So, for two weeks or more I have been carrying the watch on me whenever we went shopping. I checked with Wal-mart, K-Mart, and Target. It seems that Target came the closet to matching the style and size.

Then, yesterday, it was raining so I couldn’t work in the yard and I already voted so I decided to target Targets for my watch band.

After the second Target I visited I found one I was sure would fit. The lady behind the counter and I decided it would take a size 16, whatever that is. You take off the band and measure the little prongs that hold the axel-pin (my own name) and match it to a chart and come up with the number.

The lady had an accent. An Eastern European accent. She was pleasant to talk to but she was reluctant to try to install a watch band because she has never done it before. I told her I would walk her through it.

After several tries, it seems the little axel-pin would slip from the tiny little tool’s grasp. During this time she told me her husband had a heart attack and I told her about my heart attack and stroke. We were spending quality time while we were working.

I told her I was born in this county and used to, when I heard a northern accent it was rare, now, to hear foreign accents are not even rare, but to hear a Georgian accent like mine was rare. She understood what I was saying, and even felt for a moment what I was feeling about newcomers. I don’t resent newcomers, I just miss the Georgia laid back accent that used to be all around me.

She realized she wasn’t getting no place and went and asked the lady in the women’s clothing, if she would give it a try. She used to work in jewelry and a “nice person” the lady with the accent told me.

She came over and did her magic touch and in a few moment: Bingo! My Timex Watch was back in business.

It pays to shop around.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yay for you keeping your watch and getting the band fixed. Too many times good things are tossed because we don't replace a part of it.

I'm glad we replaced the "other party" this time around too. But unlike your watch, I think we need to toss them out on their ears ;)

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
It keeps on ticking!

Suzanne said...

Congrats!

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I like it better than my Casio I had before.