Monday, November 13, 2006

Telemarketing


Here I sit at home by the telephone waiting for it to ring. I am waiting for it to ring because I am in the market for several products and services.

I might need new vinyl siding. Maybe somebody will call me and tell me they will have a representative in my neighborhood tomorrow giving free estimates.

Or, I could use some cash. Maybe a fly-by-night mortgage company will call me and tell me they have some good news – that they have record low interest rates on second mortgages,

Or possibly somebody might call and tell me I won a free trip to wherever I pick from about 10 prime vacation spots.

It is possible a satellite company will call me offering me a deal of a life time with this week only free installation, the same deal they offered last week.

According to our caller I.D. a company calls from Las Vegas between one and three times a day – maybe they will call back with a deal I can’t refuse.

I am so lucky all these telephone solicitors are kind enough to call me to offer me such good deals. I don’t know how I could shop without them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed,
You never really know what you need until somebody calls to tell you that you need it! I usually hang up in their faces; much more polite than what I'd really like to do...:o)

Eddie said...

Bird,
That is exactly what I do - hang up in their faces. I feel for the sales person that has to make their living that way, but I would pity me more if I gave them any encouragement.

Suzanne said...

Yesterday a salesperson from the phone company irked me to no end by starting off the conversation by calling me "Mrs. Husband's name." No, no, no. That is a surefire way to make me NOT ever buy anything from you.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Not to take the side against you, but I think that would be expected - especially, if the person doesn't know you kept your maiden name.... if she is talking to a Mr. Jones' wife she might assume that Mr. Jones' wife is named Mrs. Jones - right?
Wait! Let me get a running start before you throw something.

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.