Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Chaney House built ca1856




This is the Chaney House. It was built about 1856 by or for Andrew Chaney.

It is in the southwestern part of the outskirts of Marietta. When Sherman came to town nearby was a “last hurrah” kind of battle line before Sherman and his Yankee soldiers attacked Atlanta and burned it.

While Sherman occupied this area for a week or so the Chaney House was the headquarters of Ohio General John M. Schofield.

Shortly before I took these pictures I read the book GHOST RIDERS by Sharyn McCrumb, which tells of the Civil War in North Carolina, which in my opinion is as good as the other North Carolina Civil War book COLD MOUNTAIN which was published near the same time. GHOST RIDERS tells of several battles and skirmishes of General Schofield’s men.

I am glad I took these pictures. If I had waited a year I couldn’t have. Progress came in and changed it all. The house is still standing, but it is surrounded by a subdivision of newly built houses. There is no longer wooded sprawling acres. I don’t know if the well has been bulldozed away or not, but either way, it an’t what it used to be.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Hardly anything is what it used to be, Eddie. I hate it when developers come into an old property like that and cut down all the trees. Even if they don't tear down the house, it really messes things up.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I can't stand progress when it takes away the old.