Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Harold (1922-1950)


This is a picture of someone who married into Anna's family, but was born a distant relative to me - or, because he is almost twenty years older than I, it was I who was born a distant relative of him.

The picture brings to mind the book "No Time For Sergeants" or the character Gomer Pyle.

Harold served in the Army in World War II. After he returned to civilian life he married and had had a child. He accidentally shot and killed himself at age 28.

I think I may have mentioned him before, but I don't remember using this picture before.

2 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

Your mentioning "No Time for Seargants" brought a smile to my face. It was one of my dad's favorite movies. As a kid I never wanted to watch it because I thought all old black and white movies were terrible and unsophisticated.

Well, "No Time...." wasn't terribly sophisticated but its very funny. And now I always stop to watch it when I notice its on.

Eddie said...

Button,
I haven't seen it since it first hit the silver screen. I read the book just before I saw it as a movie with Andy Griffin.
I have read books and saw movies before and always noted a lot of changes in the movie. But, I only notice one stray from the book. In the movie whatzhisname was amazed to see an woman officer. In the book, it was an African-American officer he was amazed at.