Sunday, November 19, 2006

Head of or Back of the Line?


Many times I have wondered if I am invisible. Sometimes I think I just don’t have the luster that attract human eyes. People look either through me or over or around me.

In the past 4 days in various occasions people have broken in line ahead of me four times. True! Four times I have been standing in line and people have broken in front of me and acted normal… not aggressive, just casual normal.

However, Karma may have tried to jump in and make things even. Today at a Crafts Store four times people thought I was the head of the line. But each time I was not in a line. They just thought I was in line.

I was waiting on Anna each time near the area where clerks measure and cut the yards of material. Once I was standing in the middle of the floor, but near the counter I just mentioned and this lady came up and got behind me. I stood there in a daze like I usually do and watched people. When the people at the counter said “next” and I didn’t make a move the lady behind me asked me was I in line and I said, “What line?”

Then I moved around and faced another way so people would not think I was standing in line for the counter again and another lady came and got behind me. I moved to another part of the room and another lady came by and stood behind me. I politely moved a little bit and told the lady I was no line.

Then one of the store clerks told me “the line should form over there.” And I said, “Good, then I will stand over here!”

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Fascinating. I often think that I am invisible, too. I am glad that you have your presence being felt.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Being invisible most the time is not all that bad if you don't mind eavesdropping in on private sweet conversations.

Button Gwinnett said...

HA! Let's hope that bit of karma was paying back some eager beavers who either cut people off in traffic or cut in line at the movie theater!

Eddie said...

Button,
I wonder if one was to get pleasure out of seeing somebody get a "payback" Karma for something the somebody did - one that make the first person mentioned also subject to a payback?