Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rainey Tuesday Morning

Early this morning before daylight I carried our Chevrolet truck over to the dealer to have it serviced. When I first started carrying the truck there for service about a year ago, in the early morning there was one man with a clipboard ready to write down your name and mileage, which he did, then send you to the waiting room to have watch TV and drink some of their free coffee.

Although, if you arrive just when they open the coffee may not be made yet. Once I brought in the truck that early the man who wrote my work order also made the coffee. He had plenty of time. After he got it perking he stood there and watched the news on TV for a couple of minutes.

This morning when I brought drove it into their bay there were five desks lined up. Each had a “maintenance counselor” (I made up that title) sitting there with a computer in front of him and a big name plate. I wonder how they decide who gets what as a vehicle is drives in? Does the rookie get the bad hard to handle cases?

One of the men got up with his clipboard and asked me my name and I told him. He asked what needed to be done and I said it needed just an oil change. Up to this point he had very good diction. What ever he said after I said oil change I could not understand. I said, “pardon me,” and he said the same run-in slur of a word. I motioned with my ear that I didn’t know what in the world he said.

He slowly repeated, “Oil change – right?”

Yep.

I went into the waiting room and got me a cup of coffee and read a while. There were only two of us in the waiting room. Then a little later we became four. Why would they need four service representatives?

I also noticed several employees with not much to do that stood and sipped their coffee and talked about their gardens and the rain. I bet they were not standing their free. I bet they were paid and the service representatives were paid too…. By us four customers.

After I left there I went to the cemetery and put flowers that Anna made up this past weekend. on my parents’ grave. It was pouring down rain. The cemetery appears more dramatic in the rain.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love the title "maintenance counselor." I may have to request that title at my job.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
My title can be Particle Removal Inspector (I vacuum on Thursdays and wash dishes most the time)and chef.

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.