Thursday, September 07, 2006

Bye Matey!!


Steve Irwin with his type of job and style must have known that one day the odds could catch up with him.

I heard on a news show the experts are expecting a surge of public interest in nature type of shows. The news program said there were only two now. I bet the National Geographic Channel might have a different opinion about how many nature shows they are.

It is a good thing that Steve Irwin, who was very concerned about the environment and the natural habitats of animals being erased from the planet, did what he could while he was alive to keep the concern in people's minds.

I have always enjoyed watching nature shows. I like to watch documentaries of a family of wild animals and their interactions, pecking order, and their politics - who rules and the method the self proclaim leader claims his throne.

You don't think this new surge of interest in nature shows is that the people are watching just in case another nature-man gets torn to shreds do you?

Anyway, speaking of Australian accents reminds me of what I overheard at an arts and crafts show in downtown Marietta last Sunday, by a proprietor of a booth, who looked like Tugboat Annie:"Aye do not drink, par-tae, curse, or have a tattoo and Ahe am a Aussie. Ahe Yam a discredit to mae race."

4 comments:

Amy S. Petrik said...

I was a huge fan of the Crikey Guy. And my heart sank when I learned of his tragic death. I did think one day he would die doing his job but then I also thought this wouldn't be till he was like 90. Not 44. I truly hope his wife and kids continue to keep his dream alive.

Eddie said...

Inky,
I hope so too. His father said he too would continue his work until his sons were old enough.
Now, just to hope his sons will want to keep his dream alive.

Button Gwinnett said...

Back in the days of one tv in the house, no cable, and I served as Dad's personal remote control, there were 3 shows that I always had to watch or make myself scarce: Hee-Haw, Lawrence Welk, and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

I bet Jeff Corwin had a wake up call over this. I don't think he takes as many risks as Steve did. But it's got to be in the back of his mind.

RIP Steve.

Eddie said...

Button,
Those were the days my friend that I thought would never end...
Speaking of Steve's risks... It seemed to me when in front of a camera with something that had a venomous bite or a large sharp toothy bite he became something of a ham.... like saying, "See how brave and a dare devil I am?"