Wednesday, September 06, 2006

B'rer' Eddie and the Tar Baby

On my bike ride this morning on the sidewalk I came upon a man about my age on his bike. I have came upon him before, if that is right word. We are usually headed in opposite directions so out of courtesy I pull over and let him go by. I always speak to him, something like “Good Morning!” and he always looks right by me and doesn’t speak. This morning was no exception. I said good morning to a speed sign close by as he rode by. Neither he or the sign replied.

One time when I first bought my bike a couple of months ago he and I pulled onto the walk at the post office at the same time and I thought I would talk a little bike with him, like how did he like his and isn’t it something that we ride on the sidewalk instead of lawfully on the street like we are suppose to and things like that. As we both got off our bikes I started the conversation by saying, “You have a nice looking bike.” He looked at me a moment and went inside the post office. He has double saddlebag baskets over his rear wheels, so I think he probably puts his mail there. He must have a PO box too.

This morning when I was pulled aside for his benefit and he shot by me without speaking I was wondering what would he do if I chased the old fart down and get beside him so close I could reach over to his neck and pull us both into a wreck and onto the ground where I would pounce on him and then tickle his rib cage with my fingers and say, “geechee geechee coo!!!!!" To show him I just us to be polite to each other, that’s all.

I think I still have that Zorro movie on my mind.

10 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

LOL! First of all, don't make a mistake that I made once.

On my first week at a new job, I couldn't get the janitor to say "hello" or "drop dead" to me. For some reason it bothered me. He seemed like a kindly old man and I had seen him smile at others when they walked by. I couldn't even get that out of him. He just looked at me like he was in pain or something.

So one day he walks in and I tell a co-worker that the janitor hasn't spoken to me this entire week and I was going to get a "hello" out of him whatever it took.

She pulled her glasses down on her nose, looked at me, and said, "Honey, if you can do that, you're goooooood. Because he can't hear nor speak."

Needless to say I felt about as tall as a grasshopper in quick sand. But in time, he and I became buddies.

So observe him as much as you can before jumping to conclusions. And then if he's still a curmudgeon, tickle away!

:-)

Suzanne said...

I was wondering if he might be deaf. Still, you'd think he might lip read and at least nod to you an acknowledgement of your presence.

Eddie said...

Button,
I think I made a mistake like that once that I forced the memory of it deep in my subconscious never to see light again.
Like you, I do know of instances where I got off on the wrong foot with someone and in time became buddies.
That might be an inspiration to a blog entry.
Yes, I may slip up behind him and ring my handle-bars bell, and if he reacts, start goosing!

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Deaf or not, I think a nod of the head and a smile is not too much to spend on someone you see on the sidewalk regularly and who nods and smiles at you.
He must be retired from New York (Wait! that was a joke).

kenju said...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you do that! Could it be that he's deaf?

Eddie said...

Judy,
I don't think he is deaf. I think he is either paranoid or just plain rude.

Carolyn said...

LOLOL! I dare ya, ET!

On second thought, maybe he's an apparition, or a figment of your wild imagination? ;D

Anonymous said...

Whats going on in here?!?

Hey ET!

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
A fignment of my imagination?! By jove! You may have something there.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Nothing much - that is why we are making such a big issue over a little groucy man on his bike that just wants to left alone.
How you been doing?