Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gender Roles


On The Today Show this morning Meredith Vieira made her debut. On her first day she acted like the humble shy bashful innocent school girl. Or at least that is the impression I got.

Which I think is not her at all. After she feels at home there I think she will be an aggressive interviewer that knows her interviewee.

What did I expect on her first day? I think to get the approval rating she knew she had to play her sex role.

If it was my first day being co-host of The Today Show I am sure I would feel the need to play the role of a jock.

I was on the treadmill watching Meredith on her first day.

During a commercial I channel checked the movie channels and came across the movie “Elvira and Haunted Hills”.

There was Elvira in her ghostly black Addams Family dress with the slit up to the hip and her cleavage almost totally exposed and her making corny one-liners wise-cracks… plus the movie had “anything goes” kind of humor. I instantly forgot about Meredith.

Talk about roles.

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

I watched them intro her. She'll be ok once she knows where the door to go outside is, ;)

I'm still deciding on Katie's seat at CBS news. I think she's trying to bring over her Today show persona, but it's not very appropriate for news. Dunno.

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
I agree. Kathie was a good intervewer in a cutsie kind of way, and she could climb towers and have a cutsey kind of smile - but I somehow can't imagine announcing a huge earthquake in South America killing thousands - what is that cute smile going to get her on news like that?

Suzanne said...

I think it would be great if Elvira was a host of The Today Show. It would sure be interesting. I don't know why, but I've always liked her. I dig the corny one liners.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I like Elvira's corny one-liners too. And in her own way she puts down established things, maybe with a roll of her eyes or a nose in the air - she has style.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting pair of....eyes.... that ghoulish gal has.

Eddie said...

Her er-eyes will make you cross-eyed.

Suzanne said...

She reminds me in a weird way of Jenny McCarthy, another sex symbol who makes fun of herself and the sexpot idea. Although Elvira mocks things much better.

Eddie said...

Jenny McCarthy? I don't think I heard tha name.
Tell me more.