Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Chicken Fat - the book


One time Bird (link on the right) asked me why did I name my blog Chicken Fat. In my mind, I think my response was ‘why not name it “Chicken Fat”?

Then I might have got huffy and folded my arms and said, “Because Will Elder used the words “Chicken Fat” all through his career as an illustrator. So, it is named in honor of Bill Elder, who is just the greatest cartoonist in the Universe, that’s all (saying with the enthusiasm of Napoleon Dynamite)!!

Seriously, Bill Elder in his little many mini side jokes that rarely had anything to do with the stories many little jokes… and he used the words ‘Chicken Fat” – to somehow underrate the seriousness of the illustration.
I will have to do a little research on what he said about Chicken Fat, I think it was something like: chicken fat is completely unnecessary, and even a little harmful, but it adds to the favor.

I have admired Will Elder since I was a pre-teenager reading MAD comics and followed his career through several satirical magazines and his and Harvey Kurtzman’s Annie Fanny in PLAYBOY magazine. Chicken fat is a tribute.

Today I received in the mail the book CHICKEN FAT by Will Elder that I ordered.

I have not had the time yet to look at it beyond flipping through it, but it looks like a lot of unpublished stuff, etchings, and the stories behind some of his illustrations. It looks pretty good. It was compiled and forwarded by his son-in-law Gary Vandenberg.

Now, I am wondering, should I sue him for using my blog name for the title of his book?
(kidding!)

5 comments:

kenju said...

"chicken fat is completely unnecessary, and even a little harmful, but it adds to the favor."

You aren't harmful, Eddie, and you DO add to the flavor of my day!

Unknown said...

If memory serves me correctly, you very politely explained the chicken fat origin...

Eddie said...

Judy,
I'm glad to hear that, and likewise!

Eddie said...

Bird,
I had the hardest time trying to show your name as a link today and gave up. You know, where the name is different highlight color, and if you click on that it links you. Well, I pulled out the one that I copy from, which is a link to Rocky's and instead I did every thing I did to link his, just substituting your name and address instead of his but never could get it to work. So, I finally gave up, and pulled my old "her link is on the right" routine.
And by the way, I just noticed a fragment of what I was trying to do came up as "Test 2". That is kind of like a dismembered arm floating to the surface.

fat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.