Sunday, September 10, 2006

Flags at Kennesaw Mountain





(psst! Double click on each picture for a greater impact)

Kennesaw Mountain, near Marietta was the site of a Civil War battle between the Yankees and Johnny Rebs in June 1864.

Now it is a National Park.

Each year the Marietta Kiwanis Club plants thousands of U.S. Flags in front of the Kennesaw Mountain Museum. The number of flags is the number of innocent Americans killed on September 11, 2001. I do not know the exact number.

Saturday evening we went and visited the flags. I saw one flag pole sticking out of the ground with a flower and vase at the foot and attached half way up the pole was a picture of somebody’s loved one who was killed that day. I felt emotional.

Then, I saw hundreds of flags around me, from a different point of view - all fluttering in the breeze. They appeared to be alive and were waving at the people wandering around and trying to communicate with us.

In a way it is an emotional living monument.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we have the best flag of any country, though Kenya's is sweet- it has a shield and crossed spears...green and gold

Eddie said...

I always thought Canada's Maple Leaf flag looks kind of neat.

kenju said...

Eddie, I think the number is 2996, as that is the number of the project that bloggers have been doing this week - writing about the deceased from 9/11.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I heard at Kennesaw Mountain say it was "almost 3000, but I avoided using the number because I thought it was much more. You concur with what they said.