Monday, June 19, 2006

Lost Mountain Store


This is Lost Mountain Store.

Lost Mountain Store was owned by an old gent named Mr. Newton. That was what his name was, but he preferred "Newt". Behind his back we called him "Snuffy".

Snuffy kept his money in a wood box, bigger than a cigar box. You give him your money for your Coke and crackers and he would open the box and dig out your change. He held it in such a way you could not see inside the box to see how much money was inside it. He was in no hurry to count it out. While you were standing there waiting he had a chance to talk to you and maybe brag a little. He was a talker.

Also he was quiet a shooter. While he had that box opened he was out thinking his customer. Twice he had been held up at gun point. And each time he killed the robber in his tracks. Money wasn't all he had in that box.

His store was between seven and ten miles west of downtown Marietta. Our fiend owned a lake just a couple of miles away that we would go to a lot. We always stopped there and buy something from Snuffy. The store was at desolate cross roads. Desolate back then. Now, it is a heavy traffic area with yuppies going to soccer games, tennis matches, golf games, and so on.

Snuffy has been dead many years. He was a single old man who lived with his sister in a two story house behind the store. It kind of reminds you of The Bates Motel, right?

The store is still there, but now it is in the front of a big yuppie shopping center. To the side of the store, build in is a ATM machine. I heard they were going to make a museum out of Lost Mountain Store. I don't know if that has yet became a reality or not.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like one of those old stores where you can get an ice-cold coke in one of those old glass bottles. Those taste better than any other coke!

Eddie said...

Bird,
Yep, reach your hand down in an ice cold red box and get your Coke, pack of crackers or peanuts and so outside and sit and enjoy the no-traffic. In time the owner will wander out and talk a while.

Anonymous said...

I am about to sell a painting of this store on eBay. Look for it under my profile jmyers1643. Your article has told me alot more about this store.

Anonymous said...

.




mercedes


Hi matey and blog buddies, enjoyed the blog most interesting. Not sure how well you are doing in driving more traffic to your blog but If you are interested in promoting your site and getting more visitors (aren't we all??) I would definitely recommend the free Link Referral Program.

I have a website featuring mercedes amongst other stuff and after trying every seo software/program on the net I got tipped off by an IT techi mate that the Link Referral Program was the best - more importantly it's free!!

The signup process was quick and before long my hits increased dramatically. Consequently my affiliate sales commissions and business sales went through the roof PLUS my website increased in google ranking which was an added bonus!!

If you didn't need this advice then I am sorry but you did have anonymous posting enabled on your blog. If anyone else has any good ideas for driving more traffic to blogs/websites then please share with your online business blog buddies. Ta ;-)









the Link Referral Program

.

charle keith said...

I have some perfect pictures/negitives I took in the early 80's of the store.Pictures include the dog on the front porch,old street signs,the old store with his home behind it and the mew stakes they had put up before redoing dallas hwy. I had sold over 1000 dollars of pictures in the early 90's one christmas. I would like to sell the negitives if anyone would be interested. email- askck@aol.com

Anonymous said...

This is my family and you have the story all WRONG!!!! Write about your own family not someone else's. If you want the facts ask someone who knows, this is part true and part lies or you made them up. Either way, you were not there, I was.

Eddie said...

A,
I apologize for any wrong information I gave out. We did call him "Snuffy" behind his back, that is a fact.
Wasn't his name Newton and some people called him Newt?
About the only thing it could be that was reported wrong was the shooting of the robbers, which was in the paper.... but if I was wrong, I apologize.

PR said...

P. BATTSON SAYS,
"THE SIGN ON THE BANK IS ACTUALLY THE THIRD SIGN AFTER THE STORE WS MOVED AND TURNED INTO A BANK. I HAVE THE ORIGINAL 5'x9' SIGN AS A BACKDROP IN MY WIFE'S OFFICE BEHIND HER DESK.

Lisa said...

Newt was actually Newt Sandford. He and Aunt Effie ran the store, but I don't think they ever owned it.