Monday, June 19, 2006

The Alamo, Iwo Jima, Longest Day, Viet Nam, etc.

I received a forwarding thing today that more or less was saying the current popular movie stars are a cowardly lot, not defending their country like actors of previous times did.
They went on to name such people as Alec Guiness, James Doohan ("Scotty" - Star Trek), David Niven, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Charlton Heston, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, George C. Scott, Eddie Albert, Brian Keith, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Tyronne Power, and Audie Murphy. The real He Men.

It is strange they didn't mention John Wayne. Why didn't they mention John Wayne, the biggest war hero of all? If you don't believe he was a big war hero, just see his movie credentials.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://theaginghipster.blogspot.com/2006/06/fighting-john-wayne-without-audience.html

Jebus dude, we must be related. Can you believe I wrote this and no, I did NOT read your entry before I went to bed. I just read it now. How weird is that that we would both drag up Wayne’s old bones. Yes, Eddie, I know your point. Neither Wayne nor Ronald Reagan (another macho-man) served.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Amazing.
I would say all great minds think alike, but then I remember I am talking about my mind and I know better (about the greatness part).

Suzanne said...

Speaking of macho men who never served, how about Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney? Technically, I know they are not actors. But really, are they not some of the best actors out there, pretending that they care about spreading democracy across the world?

Eddie said...

What kind of Academy Award can we give Chaney? Most Hateful?

Eddie said...

Of course we can't accused our president of skipping his duty. No siree! If you don't beleive it look at the roster of the Alabama National Guards - nobody remembers him, but he was there - his dental exam has the stamp to prove he was there.
I can think of only one Republican, who is high up in the party, put his life on the line defending his country, and that is John McCain.

Anonymous said...

another GOPer. Lets see....

George Bush, Sr and Bob Dole. There must be others.....

Eddie said...

Steve,
You are right. I forgot about Big Bush and Bob Dole.... but they have sort of stepped aside.

Anonymous said...

And you must not forget the biggest actors of all that served...How about John Kerry, 3-purple hearts without missing one day of service and only needed one bandaid. Ohh, how about Bill Clinton, He loathes the military, jusat like the rest of the liberals, but he played The Commander in Chief.