Thursday, June 08, 2006

Charles Jefferson Hunter (1865-1954)


This is my grandfather's oldest brother Charley and one of his two wives.

Charley owned a country store appropriately named "Hunter's Store", which he was also the postmaster of the community (Kelpin). He also had a weekly column in the newspaper Cherokee Tribune called "Hunter's Store" which was a society and gossip column of who died, married, went visiting, got visited broke their leg, and so on.

In life, he lived next door to his parents William A. & Emeline Ray Hunter and in death they are in the same family plot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think back in those days postmaster was often tied to political spoils. He may have ben active in a party.

Eddie said...

Steve,
You might be right, I haven't thought of that. I thought maybe the reason he was postmaster (in the back of his store is that he owned the only store in the area which could house the post office.
Now you got me thinking (which is danerous): I wonder if maybe a promise of postmaster was given him and all he had to do was furnish the building, so, Hunter's Store was created - maybe.