Monday, June 26, 2006

Follow up - Too Much Medicine!


I went to the doctor today because of the “episode” I had at the family reunion this weekend.

The group of doctors that I go to, the one I normally see was booked up. So, I went to the one my wife prefers, a liddie-biddie female Indian (Eastern) doctor.

While I was waiting I noticed signs all over the wall reminding her patients to “Please stick to the subject” – “Do not ask advice for a member of the family that is not here.” And “Please…. “ something else… I got the message, time is money. And no freeloading.

The little Indian doctor was very polite and humble. I told her my heart attack and stroke history. She looked over my list of medicines and determined that the symptoms I told her is consistent with the niacin that I take. She told me to cut it down to once a day. I have been taking it twice a day.

The Slo Niacin that I take is not a prescribed medicine. It is a over-the-counter thing that the doctor recommended to me to help with the cholesterol.

So, that is what I will do, cut down taking it to once a day.

Not that it matters now, but I am wondering how I determined to take it twice day. On the label it states taking it once a day. Since there is no prescription involved, the doctor just recommended to buy it and he presumed I would do what the label directed.

He didn’t know who he was dealing with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

be careful. I took one of those once and it made my skin burn really badly. We need you around

Eddie said...

I think I am back on track - I ran 2.5 miles this morning.

Suzanne said...

Whew, I am glad that you are OK. The word "incident" makes me nervous. As for the new doc, it really annoys me that the sign was designed to rush people. On the other hand, it does make sense that you should not get medical advice for others. And then again, perhaps if we all had access to health insurance, people would not need to rely on their relatives to go to the doctor on their behalf.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Last time Anna went to her she asked her about something else and the same doctor informed her that she didn't mention that problem when she called for an appointment.