Thursday, April 06, 2006

Stovall Covered Bridge


This covered bridge is in north Georgia in Sautee Valley area. The sign beside it says it is The Stovall Bridge. You can not drive through the bridge any longer. It is for looks only. The road has been rerouted so you ride by and look at it.

The sign also states that it was a prop in the movie "I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN". I remember that movie from long ago. It was about a preacher and his wife that were new-comers to the area and how poverty stricken the area was. And I remember the sad event that one of the kids drowned near the covered bridge.

What I didn't know until recent years that a bunch of my distant Hunter relatives were extras in the movie. That is the good news, the bad news is that their next generation were extras in "Deliverance".

And yes, the fame went to our heads.

No comments: