Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Stovall Bread and Breakfast/Moses Harshaw


Pictured above is what was in the mid 1800s Moses Harshaw house. It is in north Georgia, in the Sautee Valley Community, just down the road from the Stovall Covered Bridge from an earlier blog. I think the Stovalls bought the house after Moses owned it.

Weekly on Mondays at 7:00 our local PBS (channel 8) TV has a genealogy research 30 minute segment.

Last night's segment was about a lady in Washington state who started researching one of her related surnames: Harshaw. It told that she only had one note about her ancestor, a James Harshaw, in Ireland in a certain area who was also a representative. That is all the information she had and she told how she went about finding more about this James Harshaw and how she and her family finally went to the little town her g-g-g-g grandfather James Harshaw lived and got to meet other distant Harshaw relatives.

Harshaw is a rare name in this area and it reminded me of the only Harshaw I have heard of, Moses Harshaw.

I think I have blogged about Moses before. He was considered the meanest man in Georgia at the time. I won't bore you with the same story twice.

Moses was sort of an in-law to in-laws to my Hunter ancestors. My g-g-g grandfather John Hunter had a daughter and a son who married siblings with the last name England. The England siblings' aunt, was Moses wife for a several years but divorced him.

It is kind of ironic now that his house of evil is now a bed and breakfast and they also do weddings, which is what they were decorating for when we dropped by.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a cool history tellin' of that house. That is pretty much the kind of house I'd like to buy. I love the old fashioned look.

Eddie said...

I should have also said something about the view from the back of the house. A porch runs completely around the house and on the back side you look down at a big valley. On the side you are looking at is cleared of trees, mostly green, and I would guess was one time pastures or crops. On the other side going down is wooded. A beautiful pastorial scene.