Sunday, April 16, 2006

Brokeback Mountain & Happy Easter or Eostre

Friday we checked out Brokeback Mountain from Blockbuster and last night we got to watch it. I made it plain to the clerk at Blockbuster that it was my wife who wanted to see the movie, and I pointed out to the car, which she was sitting in.

The movie was very good. The photography was spell bounding. And as everybody knows by now it was a romance story of two cowpokes (get it?) who, had a fling while herding sheep on Brokeback Mountain. And how their lives continued afterwards. They both married women and had off-spring, but they both were in unhappy marriages and the only thing they looked forward to was their "fishing trips" they would take often together.

But they didn't bring any fish back home.

It was a good beautiful emotional story, which was doomed from the start to have an unhappy ending.

And also, HAPPY EASTER! or HAPPY EOSTRE! (if you prefer)

My Uncle John's Bathroom Reader tear-a-page-a-day calendar tells me today that Easter was orginally called Eostre, with was a spring celebration long before Christ. And they even gave painted eggs as gifts.

7 comments:

kenju said...

Live and learn! I neverheard it called Eostre, even though I knew it had been a custom long before the current meaning.

Carolyn said...

I've never heard that either, but Happy Easter to you and the Mrs. ET :)

Funny about you pointing to your wife in the car... ;D

Eddie said...

Judy, The day I don't learn something is a day I slept through.

Carolyn, The female clerk thought it was funny too.

Anonymous said...

The movie has created quite a bit of talk at work, where many of the ladies wish to see it. I have heard all positive reviews....dunno if i will see it or not....

Eddie said...

With your position in the community maybe first you should buy you a pair of fake Groucho glasses, mustache, and nose.

Suzanne said...

I thought that it was too slow and rather boring, although I was touched at the end. (You'd basically have to be inhuman to not be touched by love lost and denied.)

Eddie said...

Forbidden love makes great literature.
That was terrible to have that kind of love and know it is a taboo and you could be beat to death if it is known. They should have found themelves a little lamb to get "attached" to, it would have been healthier anyway.