Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Another Teen Dies In a Wreck

Yesterday before Anna got home I heard on the TV news of a "deadly" accident on Bryant Lane. Bryant Lane is the road that my street runs into. They showed a overview from a helicopter and there below was a dump drunk and a smashed in car. The news said one person was killed. I heard and felt the helicopter’s prop rotations. On the news it looked like the traffic was backed up. By the best I could tell it was about a quarter mile away.

I called Anna and asked where was she and she said turning onto Bryant Lane. I advised her to turn off the first street of our subdivision and get home back the back way, the traffic may be backed up, on down near our street, which she did.

Then I went to a meeting that wasn't a meeting (see previous blog "Senior Moment").
On the way back I went a little out of way to see about where the accident took place. Two police cars were still there with their blue lights flashing. As I rode by I noticed a side of the road fence was knocked down, maybe 200 feet from where the cops were. Was the fence knocked down a separate incident?

Nope. Today, after buying groceries (5% off on Wednesdays to seniors) again I went a bit out of way to look at the scene again and this time where the fence was knocked down was many flowers and some reefs and stuffed animals.

I read in the paper that the person that was killed was a teenage girl at a nearby high school. She lived in the subdivision across from the accident, one block away.

The paper said it was the 2nd teenager that got killed in auto accidents in two days. As I grew into a young adult several of my friends were killed in auto wrecks. I think it is just a sad fact that teenagers do not have the experience to drive well.

But again, they never will get the experience until they start driving. I think some of it is due to immature driving quick decisions that you can only gain by experience.

I do not know what the solution is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s a sad thing and I don’t know what the solution is. It seems to me that the quality of drivers has gone downhill pretty badly over the last few years….

Eddie said...

I don't know I think if I count the number of teenagers friends killed in auto wrecks in the late 50s I would run out of fingers and have to use my toes.