Monday, April 10, 2006

I Do the Math


I am a little confused with this New Math.

My wife goes to her chiropractor fairly often. Each visit costs her $40. Beginning at the first of the year our insurance company started allowing chiropractor visits with a fifteen dollar co-payment, just like our other doctor visits. Great!

After visiting her doctor twice we got a statement from our insurance company saying the chiropractor’s office billed them for two visits at something like a hundred bucks each visit. So, now that the insurance company was footing the bill the price was jacked up, which the insurance company paid.

Then we got a bill from the chiropractor’s office for $65.00 with a long list on the statement what was billed, itemized and what the insurance company paid and the difference was $65.00.

Wait! Anna paid a $15 co-payment on each visit. So, she already paid them $30. And they want $65 more from her, which would total $95.00 alone, $15 more than if she didn’t use insurance, plus they want a hundred bucks for each visit from the insurance company.

So, the chiropractor hopes to receive $295.00 for services rendered compared to $80 if insurance wasn’t involved.

I wonder what his major in Chiropractor’s school was – Profit margins?

2 comments:

kenju said...

AHA! Now you know why I gave up my chiropractor years ago. They did some good, but I got mad at their charges. After I quit there, I discovered a therapy which does MUCH more good than chiropractic. It is called trigger point neuro-muscular therapy, and it was 10 times better than what I got before.

Eddie said...

Tigger point neuro-muscular therapy?
Thanks, I'll pass that on to Anna.