Thursday, April 27, 2006

Elijah Petty's Daughters


These women are my g-g grandfather's daughters. They were born between 1840 and 1860, mostly in Fannin Co., Ga., in a the Suches community near Blue Ridge.

All but one of them scattered to the western plains states with their husbands and their kids. So, being sitting together all at one time makes me think the picture was taken about 1881, the year of their father's death. But if that was the case the oldest one would be about 41 and the youngest about 21. I think they look older than that, but pioneer life probably ages one - but I don't think that much.

I think the picture was probably taken between 1900 and 1915.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That one is really one from the archives. I'm envious

Eddie said...

I wish I had a book that tells about old photographs, such as the body language and what the pecking order is and all that. Like those 5 women, I bet there is more than meets the average eye, or dumb eyes like me.

kenju said...

What a great photo! And I am sure they all have a good story to tell, if we could only hear it.

Eddie said...

I know one that might have a juicy story to tell.
She had her last baby about two years after he husband died in the War Between the States.