Saturday, April 01, 2006

Comparing



The color picture is a picture of the house my father was born in(that was also in one of my previous blogs) taken in March 2006. The black and white is my father's family. He is the youngest one, the one with a rag doll. He looks about three, so that would make the picture about 1914. His family lived several places before they settled down. But I think this house is the same house in the first picture. Compare th porch columns and the pointed gable of the house next door.
Also, note his mother Minnie Tyson Hunter, and her position in the picture. I bet those youngens were in front of her on purpose to hide her pregnancy. My father was the half-way mark - he had four younger brothers.
Also, look at the admiring she is looking at her husband Frank Hunter. Like thinking: "That's my man!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first thing I notice is the porch in the background, and then you also mention it in the post. I have a photo of my Grandfather- he died in 1947-20 years before i was born. I have to get a scanner or all those photos are going to fade away...

Eddie said...

You can usually find a good deal on scanners. A freind of our's bought one for nothing, after the rebate was applied.
I bought the one we have now for around $97 at Office Max, but I bet I could buy the same updated model cheaper today.
And there is always ebay, which I have not yet used.

kenju said...

Great photo, Eddie. I think it is a great idea to post and save for posterity these wonderful old photos we have.

Eddie said...

I think so too. I am in the process of downloading them to my genealogy program, along with names and descriptions of where and what.

Anonymous said...

I've got to get back into geneaology, havent done anything with mine in years....

Eddie said...

Steve,
It is alway rewarding. You find out so many things - some good, some bad.

Suzanne said...

My goodness. These days, I can't imagine having even one kid, let alone nine. It's interesting how much bigger families were back in the day, whether due to lack of birth control, need for labor, religion, etc. My dad's father was one of seven, but none of my other grandparents had more than 2 other siblings, which I find very unusual for those times.