Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Killing Chipmunks & Eating Spicy Chicken


I was working in the back yard near the underneath part of the deck the other day when I noticed Willow at the very back of the yard looking at me. In fact, she was studying me intently. It was over 100 feet away – I thought dogs were nearsighted.
She started running at full force. I wonder if she was going to jump up and lick me in the face or playfully nibble at my arms or what. In a split second I found out: She ran right past me under the deck and grabbed a chipmunk in her mouth. In all of a second or two she grabbed the little fellow and then let him go and watch him take off running. Before he got two feet away she quickly reach down and grabbed him with her teeth and gave the cute little creature a snap of the spine.

Then she put it down and studied it a minute; then picked it back up and carried it out in the yard to play with, I suppose, sort of like a limp doll.

I walked over and took it from her.! Gad, I hate dealing with little dead animals!

Willow is sweet and lovable pet. She always licks you or playfully lightly chew on your hand, or nudge you for a pet, or sometimes just sit beside you and lean against you knowing touching bodies is a good way to be on someone’s good side.

She must read what I read about that is the best way for waiters and waitresses to get a boost in their tip income in to make body contact with the tipper of the dining party. You can lightly pat them on the back or lean against the person to explain the menu or something like that.

That sweet lovable thing is also a skilled expedient killer. I’m thinking of farming her out to Murder, Inc.

It upsets my elderly neighbor when Willow kills a chipmunk. I don’t like it either, usually, I end up having to clean it all up. But other than that, I hate to see a little sweet innocent* animal killed. It just doesn't seem right.

But, who am I to tell my dog to ignore the laws of nature?

*Note -Just in case the situation comes up, rats and snakes are not little sweet innocent animals.



Yesterday was the day Chic-Fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich hit the market for selling.

Before it was available to buy at the Chic-Fil-A stores they had a rather complex introduction. You would make reservations to come into a store and get one free. You had to go by your reservation time to pick it up. By the time I tried making a reservation all the stores near me were booked up.

However, my son Rocky evidently did some smooth talking and got one anyway. How does he do it? Always.

By using this sort of build up of reservations to get your sandwich appears to have built up the desire from “I would like to try it” to “I GOTTA HAVE ONE!”

We arrived at a Chic-Fil-A store about 11:15, before the time, we thought, the lunch crowd would hit. The place was crowded with lines going every which way. After studying the situation, we figure you go up to the counter and place your order and pay for it, and then go get in line and wait for them to call out what you ordered.

Or at least I think that was the way it was suppose to go. But it looked like one of the long lines was a line with people ordering and paying, just like we did at another cash register with no line. ??? Oh well.

I can see there could be a problem. I think the cash register receipt should have a number on it so they could call out the number.

What they did was call out what was on the tray. Like in our case, a spicy sandwich and a regular Chick-Fil-A sandwich. And after that they may call out they have two spicy and an order of waffles fries. It seems to be that it would be highly possible that more than one party ordered the exact same thing – then, do we get to see a fight?

I thought the Chick-Fil-A Spicy sandwich was delicious. After you take your first bite you can see a cross section of the inside. Underneath the deep-fried batter you can see a thin red/orange line of the spice. It was just right. It was not dull and not too flaming spicy. It reminded me of Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich, only better.

I can’t wait to start pestering them for spicy chicken and biscuits in the morning.

6 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

I was waiting for a review of the new sandwich, thanks!

Eddie said...

Susan, Also, I noticed that my son Rocky on Facebook gave it a thumbs up. That is at least two that liked it. On the other hand, Anna thought it was TOO spicy.

Jean Campbell said...

Better than Wendy's? That's a good thing.

Do you know the whole Chic Fil a story? It is one of the most interesting stories of hard work paying off that I've ever read.

What you might not read elsewhere is that Mr. Cathy owns one of the original Bat Cars from a Batman movie.

Eddie said...

Nell, I didn't know that about Truitt Cathy and the Bat Mobile. I know he is very religious and helps with scholarships and such with kids that work for him and also teaches them a strong work ethic.

kenju said...

I'm going to try that sandwich!!

Tell Willow she can only kill bad, nasty things like snakes!

Eddie said...

Judy, Every time I tell her something like she tells me she can't "comprohendo human talk". But she always understands when I mention a treat or a walk.