Saturday, January 06, 2007

Two Images, Same Time

Yesterday Anna and I were at a restaurant having lunch. A terrible water pounding storm was outside. There was a report of a tornado sighting about 20 miles south of Atlanta.

The table next to us was a man young man sitting piddling with his food with one hand and his cell phone in the other. He had a thick crop of neatly cut dark hair. He was dressed very tailored and neatly, and the worn Levis were partly worn out just right – no torn Levis, he was not out to make a statement like that… nor were the Levis dark blue new, but I doubt if he worn the jeans in public until they got that certain faded blue book.

By his telephone conversation, only hearing his side, I think he was trying to check the Church kindergarten his child or children go to, just concerned because of the stormy weather and possible tornados and all.

What I found a amusing was when he called his office to have that person find the number for him of the church’s kindergarten he has a certain way of saying “Hey!” to that person, and when he called who I think was his wife he would let out a different “Hey”… one of the Heys were deep and one reminded me of a goat saying “Nnnn-nana-na”. It was a longer “hey” with almost a musical note in it.

He called back and fourth, maybe talking to his wife and whoever at his work, so I heard him change his telephone greetings a couple of times.

I don’t know, but I suspect that he portrayed a certain image for his work-mate and he had another image set aside for his wife…. And there he was, on the phone switching back and forth dealing out his images with me intently eavesdropping – it I was not invisible, I’m sure that would make a person self-conscious.

4 comments:

kenju said...

My children always used to say that I had one voice for them and another one for the telephone. If I was mad at one of them, maybe yelling or something and the phone rang, I would change my voice in an instant and answer the phone sweetly. Maybe we all do a similar thing without even noticing it?

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think my mother did the same thing. Mad at me about something and the next minute answering the phone like - well, like you did.

Suzanne said...

I bet he paid a premium for those jeans. They sell them pre-"damaged" for quite a hefty price...

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I got a whole bunch of those I have been perfecting through the years... all sizes too.