Friday, January 12, 2007

Small Cyber World

More than a few times I have ran into people with common denominators and old friends and/or both. Reuben is a good example. He found me through my blog. I think he said he ran a search on HU-4 our old helicopter squadron in the Navy and came me. He has visited me twice in the 60s, but went on to a Navy career and we lost touch. He re-touched, after he found my blog.

Another example is an old friend which for this I will call Pappy. Back when emailing and bulletin boards were infants – in the 90s – Pappy and I ran into each other on a Prodigy bulletin board that had the running subject of Harvey Kurtzman, his artists, and all the other people that connections with the early MAD comic book. After a while, we were swapping information daily, which also developed into a daily “Good Morning” and we extended our talks to share family news, work news, and things like that. We became good friends, although we never met, and it was doubtful if we ever would, he lived in the west and I lived in the southeast.

All good things come to an end… I think we talked so much we ran out of things to talk about – burned out, so we quit communicating. Since then, I have often wondered about Pappy and his family.

The day before yesterday I ran a blog search on Harvey Kurtzman, just to see if there were some interesting blogs about the man I that I thought so much of. I came across Pappy's Golden Age Comic Blozine I loved the visuals and the excellent articles. I made a couple of comments on his posts and sent the guy an email telling him how good I thought his blog is.

Yesterday evening Pappy emailed me and told me I was his old friend. I was delighted to hear from him. He has a great site, check Pappy's Blog out.

Alls well that ends well.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Isn't it amazing who we can find if we are determined? I can see why you'd like his site.

Eddie said...

Judy,
We are both Cancers. His birthday is 5 days before mine. I'm a few years older though. Cancer minds think alike?

Anonymous said...

I have also communicated with old pals and then ran the course of conversations. I think it is still good to have them "close at hand" and I no longer think it is a bad thing to not talk to them for long stretches. I think just being able to get to them once in a while is a pretty good thing.

Eddie said...

Steve,
You are right, friends come and go and if they come back for seconds they are more than likely real friends.