Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Four Brothers and Four Wives


I don’t remember posting this picture before. These are four of my father’s eight brothers and their wives.

Of the eight people in the picture, only one is still alive, Ruby. Ruby is the first lady on the right. Her husband Jack is behind her. Jack was at Pearl Harbor and had his 15 minutes when he saved Eddie Rickenbacker’s life in the Pacific.

The next is “Bus” or Robert Ray. He was a lineman for a R.E.M.C. company. He almost became a professional wrestler. He had a reputation for being very strong. In front of him is his wife Zelma. Their only son Jerry was a pilot, shot down and killed in Viet Nam – In a way, it took their life from them.

The next was Stanley who fought at Normandy at D-Day but didn’t like to talk about it. He and his wife Sarah had two sons.

The last is Doug. At one time Doug was scouted to be a professional baseball player. He was one of the funniest and wittiest people I have ever met. His wife Lolagene was a great story book reader for kids at the library.

6 comments:

kenju said...

Looks like a nice family, Eddie. I have some similar photos. I started posting some old ones today.

Eddie said...

Thanks Judy, I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

Whats the story with Rickenbacker?

Eddie said...

Steve,
In the Pacific the plane Rickenbacker was in went down. Eddie and others were in a raft, if I understand correctly, and Jack was a CPO in a PT boat and they performed the rescue of the people that survived the plane crash, I think he was the one that pulled Rickenbacker out of the waters - he is credited for whatever he did and was given recognition for it.
It made the hometown newspaper.

Carolyn said...

I think Lolagene is a cool name! I don't think I've ever heard it before today, either :)

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
Hi! I haven't from you I don't think since you started back to work.
Lolagene is the only one I know with that name, but it seems like I heard the lyrics of a song, "What Lola wants,
Lola gets."