Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No Magnetic Sign For Me

Have you ever notice the magnetic signs on some pickup trucks? They usually advertise something the owner of the truck does for a price. I have seen independent businessmen advertise that they will haul away junk, clean out roof gutters, haul away dead dogs, and many other things that maybe somebody unskilled but is trying to make a go of it in the business community.

I think the best one I saw was not a magnetic sign but white paint on the door of a black truck. To add to the flavor the letters were crooked and some of the letters misspelled. I think there were about 4 or 5 things he listed, more than a magnetic sign could hold. He was a multi-taster. I think it would have added to it if one of the specialties was marked through, just to show the public he wasn’t ashamed to admit he is not perfect in everything.

Anyway, I decided I will not be ordering a magnetic sign or using white paint on my truck door to announce I can install water filters on the back of older refrigerators.

So, I won’t be part of the Cobb County business community of neatly dressed Republicans who go to the Cobb County Commerce Breakfasts once a month and listen to keynote speakers, or maybe even speak myself.

I made that decision yesterday while attempting to replace our water filter on the back of our refrigerator.

Before I attempted to do such a transplant, I shut off all incoming water valves – 3 or them. And the blasted thing still leaked buckets of water as I worked… literally, buckets! I got the old one off okay, and the top part of the new one attached okay, but on the other end I stripped the plastic thread trying to screw a brass coupling onto it. Then, when I tried to take it off, with my wrench I made the ridges of the plastic nut-thing smooth and trying to grip it, and water was all over the floor, then wet towels were all over the floor and a ruined new water filter.

Luckily, I caught my friend-plumber Jeff between jobs and he came and rescued me – for a price.

2 comments:

Michael Bains said...

Oh man... heheh... Sorry to hear it, Ed.

Thanks for (sad) chuckle, though. I can totally relate to such troubles with plumbing.

Is why I will NOT attempt even semi-dangerous electrical repairs. It's just not a skill I've got, eh.

Eddie said...

Michael,
I guess I just haven't found my skill yet.