Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Who Do I Think I Am? Wow! part 50



Daniel Webster and Sarah Jane Garrett Petty started their marriage in Fannin County, Georgia. They moved over Fort Mountain to Murray County, Georgia, where they spent the rest of their lives. They had six children.

The oldest was Sarah Alice Petty. Alice and her siblings Dawson Wesley and Nancy Jane Petty did not married. They lived in the same big house together until age broke them up. They were a farming family. As a child we visited them from time to time. Wesley had horses, a mule, and cattle and some rental property you could see a little house on top of the next hill over. Once we had Sunday dinner with them and I remember the milk was sour with a taste I was not used to. It was straight out of the cow that hung out near the barn.

As they aged one of the sisters had an operation and went to a nursing home and died and I think a similar fate happened to the other sister. Wesley was left to live there alone. One night the house burned down with Wesley in it.




I remember seeing my mother weep when she thought about it.

No comments: