Friday, July 31, 2009

Will You Miss It When It Is Gone? Nope!


This picture was taken on Roswell Road in Marietta. If the photographer pivoted to the right he will looking at Miss Georgia Dairy, the future home of The Big Chicken. We can look straight ahead, across the intersection which is and was called The 4-Lane…. And to newcomers who looked on a map it is Cobb Parkway.

This intersection separates North Cobb Parkway (or North 4-Lane) and South Cobb Parkway (or South 4-Lane).

Across the intersection is Roswell Street. The 4-Lane separates Roswell from Street to Road.

On the other side of the road at the corner on the left is a Standard Service Station. Just beyond that is an unpainted wood structure.

I am just guessing, but I think the unpainted wood structure is some sort of warehouse for a small company or a route man of some type. I remember in our neighborhood we had a similar unpainted wood structure that tea route men used as a ware house to come by and pick up stock before going on the road.

Back to this corner and the unpainted wood structure: I rode by that building hundreds of time, maybe thousands, east and west and never thought of it. It was just part of the background.

Then in time it outlived its usefulness and was demolished. Probably other things took it place and other things came and went.

I didn’t even notice it was gone.

Then when I saw this picture my memory glands had a rush. It all came back to me. The unpainted wooden structure looked perfectly natural there and I had my head in a daze I didn’t even miss it until about 55 years later I realized it is gone for ever… now, I will feel guilty I didn't miss it.

Now, in that spot, Los Reys Mexican Restaurant’s parking lot is there, in case you are interested.

NOTE - The below has just been added. Monty Calhoun filled me in with page 2:
The barn in your picture was owned by Mrs. Leech. She was an old widow that would chase us out of there on a daily basis.
Having been raised in Pine Forest, this was one of our adventures that rated right up there
with sleeping on top of Dodd St. School, riding our Flexy Racers in the sewer system, and
shooting cars, at night, with our pea-shooters on the 4 lane highway. Some of our gang,
that you would know: Julian Suggs, Ronnie Witcher, Rupert and Carroll Raines, June Lyle, Nancy Mathis, Jean Baker, Ozzie Huff, Buddy Ball, Neil Taylor, Richard Townsend, Larry Brewer, Dianne Ford, Joe Thomas...and the list goes on.

6 comments:

Si's blog said...

Guilt does get you. Great picture, especially when you click on it.

Your memory glands are remarkable.

Anonymous said...

Another good photo, Eddie!
And you mentioned Pine Forest -- that's the first place we lived in Marietta, and I went to Dodd St. for 5th and 6th grades. So did Ken Braswell, Elizabeth Lamar, Francis Story, Rosemary Ship, and probably others I don't remember.
Do you remember Mrs. Dean, 5th grade teacher? And did you have Mrs. Sanders for 9th grade math? And then there was the dreaded Ms. Poole for geometry. She gave me panic attacks lol
G

Eddie said...

Si,
My memory has a lot to do with the 4-Lane and Roswell st/Rd.

Geri,
That about the Pine Forest kids was copied and pasted from an email from Monty Calhoun.
I went to Waterman Street School. However, I had a Ms Poole too, who showered me daily with terror in my 4th grade glass.

Anonymous said...

Can I blame them for my low self esteem? lol
G

Unknown said...

It was 1946 or 1947 when my Dad (Dan Tabb) came home one Saturday after shopping for some land to invest in.

What he said stuck in this small kid's mind: "You won't believe this, but I was looking at that land out where Roswell Road crosses the 4 lane and they want $1000 an acre! They will never get it."

"And on Canton Road they want $300 an acre. Not worth more than $100. Prices are out of sight for land around here."

He ended up buying a 4 year old duplex on Gramling Street across from our apartment for $4000 on very nice terms from First National Bank which was located on the corner of the square.

Jim Tabb
Marietta Oldtimer

Eddie said...

I knew a few people on Gramling Street, such as Jerry Flowers, Pat Garrett, and my 7th grade teacher Mrs. King.