Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dancing in the Boondocks


While looking for something else today in the 1957 Marietta High School yearbook the Olympian I came across the above picture in the advertisements.

This picture was probably taken at Saint James Episcopal Church. After football games they sponsored dances for kids. I think it was to keep them off the streets and out of trouble. That didn’t work too well, did it? The teenagers had their cake and ate it too.

Recognize the teenager dancing with the majorette? It is rock singer Billy Joe Royal.

To the left is the late Jimmy McEntyre and I think the teenage boy with the hat on looks like Paul Owenby.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

Remember those dances. They were great. Kids these days don't know how to dance proper-like. Cheek to cheek, arms around each other is so neat.

The Ban Phai Farang said...

We use to have these every Friday after the home games during football season. Attendance was a must for the in crowd. Needless to say, I didn't attend many.

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't your dang email work ... huh?! I lost touch with you a couple years ago, and haven't visited your blog since then. I can't wait to catch up on the articles you've written. I recognized everybody in the pic here, including the girls (CB and JS)

Also enjoyed the Varners article, and recognize the two seated in the car as MS (the girl), and the boy looks like JH, but I'm not sure.

For sure, I am book-marking your site this time.

I talked with Fannette yesterday, and feel all pumped up about the reunion in October. How nice it would be to see all of you again.

Email me! gericisk@yahoo.com

Love ya,
GB

Anonymous said...

oops, I was wrong about the identity of the girl dancing with Owenby. That's Ruth Vick (rest her soul).
GB