Monday, July 13, 2009

There Is Your Next President



That is what my father said when he saw Herman Talmadge on TV. Herman was very popular back then. I don’t think Daddy was praising Herman but he knew how sly and conniving Herman was and also Herman was in the news a lot during that time. Herman's famous quote to the press was: "I don't care what you write about me, just spell my name right."

Many years before, Daddy, as a Georgia National Guard sentry guarding the Governor’s Mansion in Ansley Park in Atlanta, refused to let Herman pass him to enter the mansion. At the time, Herman’s father Gene Talmadge was Georgia Governor. It wasn’t that he didn’t recognize Herman Talmadge, he had strict orders not to allow anyone what so ever to enter. And Herman fell under the “anyone whatsoever” category.

I took these pictures July 4, 1980, during the politician speaking on the Square in Marietta. The funnel cakes were better.


3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I couldn't help but laugh at your last line. Sometimes funnel cakes are better than the speeches at those things, too bad they aren't always served though. They'd sweeten the rest of the BS dished out wouldn't they? LOL!

Jean Campbell said...

My favorite line was from 'Ol' Gene' who said after he lost some election, "Somebody eating my barbecue ain't voting for me," or a similar line.

Eddie said...

Nell,
I remember that quote (or similar)!

Carolyn,
I should have said bbq! The Jaycees always have a tent up selling hickory flavored bbq sandwiches