Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Music to Walk Peppy To


Lately on my walks I have been paying more attention to the music I walk to. I try to listen to words and get the beat of the music.

Why? To get my money’s worth, that’s why!

I bought a MP3 player several months ago and became a collector of music again. I joined the emusic download and have downloaded a bunch of songs, mostly songs from about 1950 to about 1975 but occasionally catch a stray in another time period I might like.

I am also copying LP albums and CDs and converting them into the MP3 format.

In the past few days I have listened to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy which I think is very good – very high energy big-band boogy woogie type of music. You can just about imagine someone wearing a thick shoulder padded zoot-suit “cutting a rug”.

Also another interesting group is the Swinging Medallions – which is also fast pace kind of hot summer beach boy beer drinking kind of music. Interesting, the group is a family with a mama and papa – not unlike the Partridge Family or very much unlike the Partridge Family… and those boys sing and pantomime such sexual innuendoes. I have seen them perform at various venues in Cobb County. They have a good beat – they are just not a household word like Jimmy Buffet… but probably have the same type of live audience. Years ago I bought two CDs at their concerts. I'm still getting mileage out of them.

And yesterday I escaped back into my formative years and listened to Piano Red. Piano Red was a blues singer on the Atlanta predominantly black radio station WAOK. He would sing and rap that piano and talk suggestive sweet nothings into the microphone… he seemed he put his heart into it… he did the same on the CD I have.

Years after I used to listen to him on WAOK we went into a bar in Underground Atlanta and he was the entertainment. By then he was an old man but he had the joint rocking.

Sometimes I feel like dancing on my walk… would I look like a fool? Would Willow pretend she doesn’t know me?

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

Never saw Piano Red in person, but used to hear him on the radio in his early days.

You Got the Right String, Baby, but the Wrong Yo Yo.
My fav.

Eddie said...

Jean,

You Got the Right String, Baby, but the Wrong Yo Yo is on the CD I was talking about, along with 20 others.