Thursday, July 16, 2009

It Wuz Thar, Now It An't





Some thought these cement steps were the stairway to Heaven and others thought it was the Stairway to Hell. Me? Ecchhh? (tilting my hand one way and the other).

At the top of the steps was Waterman Street Grammar School... which I think was PS #1.

The other day we were taking a short cut to avoid downtown by driving down Waterman Street. Suddenly I turned into the driveway of what used to be Waterman Street School. I wanted to show Anna what I discovered a few months ago... the view of Marietta from the old Waterman Street playground, but is now the Salvation Army parking lot.

Which sort of defeated my scheme of saving time by taking a short cut.


This is the view I wanted her to see. This is one of the highest points overlooking the down. The foreground of vast emptiness was the Clay Homes Project where I spent the first 6 years of my life. The Clay Homes was a low income project. As you can see, it was demolished with promises of building an office park. That is one way to deal with the poor problem - shuffle them out of the system.

Above them is a of old homes and buildings along Atlanta Street leading into down. And looming like a false idol in the background is Kennesaw Mountain, where a portion of the Civil War was fought with thousands killed.

And to the right is the Cobb County Complex, which used be mostly all in one single building, the Cobb County Courthouse, which (sob!) had to make way for progress too.



While there, it occurred to me that these steps and wall are remnants of the only thing left of Waterman Street School - that played such a large part of my childhood.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Then it's good that you have photos of them.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Yep, I don't have to rely on my memory - which if I did, I wouldn't remember much.