Wednesday, April 15, 2009

OM Trivia Downtown Picture Game


This is a trivia game for Old Mariettans. Above is an aerial picture of downtown Marietta taken about 1958. Click for bigness.

You are suspended up in the air, about between the Economy Ice Cream and the railroad tracks. You can see the Square and Glover Park. Just on the upper left hand side of Glover Park is the Cobb County Court House and just down Atlanta Street a block from the Court House is the First Methodist Church. Both the Court House and the 1st Methodist Church are long gone.

On with the game: This is a non-competitive game… you don’t win anything but what is better you don’t lose anything. You will be asked to seek something in the picture. Look for it and if you find it good for your memory. If you didn’t find it, then you didn’t, that’s all.

Do you see Roswell Street?

Do you see the Greyhound Bus Station on Roswell Street?

Do you see the Past Time Grill & Billiards on Roswell Street?

Do you see Kroger’s Supermarket on Roswell Street?

If you got all the above right, seeing the Clay Homes and Waterman Street school is easy.

Do you see the building on Atlanta Street that Sears & Roebuck was in before it was on Roswell Street?

Do you see on Atlanta Street the building that housed Marietta City Hall, Marietta Fire Station #1, and the T.A.C. (Teenage Canteen)?

Do you see Romeo Hudgin’s Welding Service (hint – it is on Goss Street between Atlanta Street and West Atlanta Street, near the Confederate Cemetery).

Do you see Dupre’s?

And just a few stores to the left of Dupre’s is Atherton Drug Store. Atherton Drug Store has two levels, which it doesn’t now. How come?

Do you remember where the Marietta Police Station was in 1958? If you are an OM and reading this you probably visited there on business a couple of times back then.

See the Granite Marietta jailhouse?

What about the Georgia Extension Service building, also made of granite?

The Old Hospital building was no longer a hospital after Kennestone Hospital was built in the early 50s, but the building was mostly used as a doctor’s building – see it?

And if you can find the Old Hospital building you can probably find the Victory Cab building – right?

Then there is Guest or Cooper Ford, the Strand Theater, Cobb Theater, and Schillings Hardware, which is now Schillings Restaurant.

What about Dick’s pool hall? Where is it and what about the hair of the man that ran it?

Of course you got the Depot and the Kennesaw House. When was the Kennesaw House built and who owned it during the Civil War?

Also, where did Andrews’ Raiders stay the night before they stole The General locomotive and headed for Chattanooga (Great Locomotive Chase) to deliver it to the Yankees (unsuccessful) ?

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I think I found most of the places you mentioned, but being 6 in 1958, I was more interested in other places on and near the square. My father worked in the Southern Bell building on the street that ran beside the First National Bank (is that West Atlanta St.?). He banked at First National, shopped at Walker's, bought us Red Goose shoes at Coggin's, and got his gas and car repair at the Gulf station on Atlanta St. Mom shopped at JoAnn's. An aunt and uncle owned the City Cafe on Church St. We went to church at First Baptist (on Church St. just out of the picture). And my grandfather lived on Washington Ave. (also just out of the picture). And the park had the best swings!

I do know that Atherton's is just one story now because of a Halloween night explosion. And the Kennesaw House (Fletcher House) was owned by the Fletcher's at the time of the raid. The men stayed there and at a hotel across the street that was owned by the Cole's.

Eddie said...

Very good Melanie!
You have a great memory. That is Powder Springs Street that ran beside the bank that Southern Bell was on. My sister worked at the First National Bank... and that is good you knew about the Coles and the Fletchers.

Mark said...

I found them all. I went to Waterman St. for seven years. My Dad worked at that Sears store, and my Mom worked at McRae- Lattimer, and my aunt Ida worked at Medford's Book Store. I found the old Coca Cola plant across from the National Cemetary.
My pediatricians office was in the old hospital building, as were my dance lessons with Myrta Chatfield.
Wow!

Mark said...

I found them all. My Dad worked at Sears, my Mom worked at McRae-Lattimer, and my aunt Ida worked at Dempsey Medford's Book Store. Our weekly treat was to eat out at Phil Williams' Dowtown Cafe next door to the courthouse. I went to Waterman St. elementary 1st-7th grades, then to Keith for 8th, then on to MHS.
I remember early movies on Saturday mornings for kids at the Strand
Thanks for putting this together

Mark said...

I found them all. My Dad worked at Sears, my Mom worked at McRae-Lattimer, and my aunt Ida worked at Dempsey Medford's Book Store. Our weekly treat was to eat out at Phil Williams' Dowtown Cafe next door to the courthouse. I went to Waterman St. elementary 1st-7th grades, then to Keith for 8th, then on to MHS.
I remember early movies on Saturday mornings for kids at the Strand
Thanks for putting this together

Eddie said...

Mark,
Do you live in Marietta now? Surely we have met or know each other. I went to Waterman Street School for seven years, but spend my 8th grade at Marietta Jr. on Winn Street.
My aunt Sarah Petty McLemore worked at Sears on Atlanta Street.
Write about more Marietta stuff we can relate to.

Mark said...

My folks moved us to Alpharetta in 1968. My Mom is still there. If your aunt is still Living, ask her if she remembers Bill Hopkins. My Dad.
I was at Waterman St. when Mrs Whitehead retired and we got Reid Brown as principal.Emma Hedges was my first grade teacher, the I had Mrs Killenbeck, Miss Shaw, Ms. Hodges, Mrs Eudalie, and Mr. Cavender. I can't remember the 7th grade teacher's name. I sarted at Waterman St. in 1958. In 7th grade, I was a Safety Patrol. Remember those? We had white canvas Sam Browne belts and badges. A kid names Don Bell and I had the post over by the railroad tracks and the Confederate cemetery. That was pretty much half way home for me.
Just up the street from Melanie's uncle's cafe were a shoe shop, a feed store, Sel Thomas' Hobby Shop, and Herb Hunter's barber shop.

This is a lot of fun remembering.

Eddie said...

Mark,
Herbert Hunter was my uncle. I see Reid Brown often. He retired from being a principal and works part time at Mayes Ward Funeral Home. We see him too often.
Mrs. Whitehead was principal when I "graduated" out of the 7th grade in 1954. I had Mrs Killenbech also.
email me at ethunter@bellsouth.net.

Oldtimer said...

I'm Jim (Buddy) Tabb. I remembered all those and many more.

I remember the Marietta Journal building (picked up many a load of newspapers there to deliver). Also see Clays Shoe store, Shillings Hardware, Grover's Hardware, Strand and Cobb theaters (paid 9 cents for the Cobb and 11 cents for the Strand for all day), the old telephone company, and of course the police station (where fireworks were occasionally rolled through the back door down the aisle once w/o getting caught - went off in front of the front door desk clerk.)

I was a pool shark and a ping pong guru as well as a chess champ at the TAC above the fire station. Took dancing lessons there before there was a TAC.

I had my tonsils out at the Hospital in this picture in the late 1940's.

I too was a school guard posted at the corner of Waterman and Atlanta. I do remember Mrs Whitehead.

I'm in that 7th grade class picture you have posted. 3d from left on the 2d row, black jacket. I remembered more than half the names. Charles Lowe is my wife's first cousin.

I remember when the streets around the square were all brick and one way and the trolly ran down the middle and out Atlanta Road.

I bought bike tires at the old Sears Store and baseballs at the Western Auto on Atlanta St a half block off the square.

Had my feet x-rayed at Coggins more than once, but mom bought my shoes at Clays Shoe store because they were the only store that sold EEE widths.

Thanks for the memories. This is our 55th high school anniversary year at MHS.

Eddie said...

Jimmy, Thanks for commenting. My sister Frances was in your class. I enjoyed your memories - it stirred some of mine. Although, I never made the grade to be a patrolman or cross-guard or whatever.