Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I Was Mostest of the Mosts & Better than the Best


This past week presented a flux of old high school friends that some I haven’t seen in a grandparent’s lifetime was very enjoyable. Unfortunately, there were also some things not so pleasant with some of my high school friends during the same time. Two of them died and one’s sister died.

My high school friend Bobby Cole was one of the three that died. He was a teacher’s dream of the ideal student, a coach’s dream of the ideal athletic, and I’m sure later in life he was the idea employee, husband, and father. Needless to say, his senior year he was elected Mr. MHS (Marietta High School).

That reminded me of our senior years when it was time to vote for things like Mr. MHS, Miss MHS, Best Looking, Most Scholarly, Most Friendliest, and so on our little bunch decided to play a little practical joke.

We stuffed the ballot boxes with ballots voting me for me for every thing. We stuffed more ballots with my name on them than there were students. I remember a couple of friends and I filling out the ballots in a class room one day after most of the students had went home. The teacher at the desk, who seemed to be aware of most of our pranks and shenanigans, just smiled and shoot her head.

If the vote-counting-committee counted the votes correctly I should have been the Best Looking, the Most Intellectual, the Most Scholarly, the Most Friendliest, Mister MHS, and even Miss MHS.

Evidently the vote-count was fixed.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

Like the picture of your high school class at the top of your post.

Those things are always fixed. That is why I never was elected anything even though I know deep in my heart that I am the top of everyone's list.

Unknown said...

Dad told me about Bobby Cole this weekend - he was my first soccer coach. He was great a keeping 8 year-olds focused on a game that he was the only person who knew the rules for(our parents sure didn't know since soccer in the late 70s was a "new" sport). Dad laughs about Bobby had the whole time - both for practices & games - planned out on a clipboard - when to sub, who to sub, what drill to run, etc. - and how he could get the kids to follow. He will be missed.

j3

Eddie said...

Si,
I'm naturally the one on top.

John,
I bet Bobby was a very organized person... and very positive and likable. We ran into him a year or so ago at House of Sue (is that name right? - behind the Strand) and he was just radiating positivism. And several months ago he called me, along with our other classmates to tell of a planned get-together. By this I think he had a lot his intestines removed and sounded very weak and spoke in a faint whispery voice - but still positive!

Jean Campbell said...

My DH was voted 'Cutest' in his class -- they didn't have 'Best Looking.'

Another classmate got ALL the rest of the Superlatives, but he was definitely not 'Cute.'

BTW, there were only 5 or 6 boys graduating in that class.