Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Community of Euharlee, Georgia





We went to Euharlee, Georgia, today to help celebrate my sister-in-law Thelma’s 70th birthday.

Euharlee, according to the Postal Service serving the area, is part of Cartersville but has its own distinct rural personality.

It has a rural personality that is in the shadow of a nuclear power plant…. I think it is nuclear, maybe I am wrong.

I noticed while driving around Euharlee looking for the birthday place an unusual amount of barbecue joints in the area, in fact, one road is named Barbecue Road. I’m going back!

Also, there is a covered bridge in Euharlee. It wasn’t far from the birthday party festivities, so I walked down and looked around. I think I have been there before years ago. This covered bridge is known to be haunted. I forgot the details, but I remember Natives Americans are involved. Which may have something to do with the Etowah Indian Mounds just a few miles away, also very near the Etowah River.

This covered bridge is one of only twelve covered bridges still standing in Georgia.

I also remember it was built ex-slave Horace King (1807-1885). Horace was a slave in Alabama. His master was a bridge builder and he learned his expertise from him and perfected the bridge building techniques. His master was so proud of him he gave him his freedom and he started a covered bridge building business and built a name for himself.




4 comments:

tammy prance said...

No Eddie, Plant Bowen is not a nuclear plant. It is coal fired. Also, Daddy worked on this plant for a number of years and this is where we always got our Christmas Tree. We stole it from GA Power.

Eddie said...

Tammy,

Thanks for straightening that out. I thought those big inverted funnel smoke stacks meant they were nuclear, like Three Mile Island. See why just a little knowledge is dangerous?

You didn't steal those Christmas Trees, you relocated them where they could do the most good.

Jean Campbell said...

There's a nice picnic shelter place over there near Plant Bowen; went to a family reunion (the other side) there once.

Mama took me to see the covered bridge, more than 40 years ago. I was more interested in the little Methodist Church nearby, very quaint and sweet.

Eddie said...

Nell,
And according to the map Taylorsville is just a hop and skip down the road. Taylorsville is a Pullen family thing that Nell and I are both family members of.