Thursday, April 02, 2009

Eavesdropping


We were sitting in a waiting room at Kennestone Hospital yesterday. CNN was on the television.

There were about eight or so people sitting and waiting. I studied each cluster and decided each cluster or couple actually represented only one person waiting. I estimated there were actually only three people ahead of us.

An elderly couple and their son came in. I think they were in their late 70s or maybe early 80s. They could hardly walk. The wife had a snazzy walker with wheels, a platform to put something (or sit on), wheels, and even hand brakes.

The lady at the desk did as she did with everybody else asked for their paper work, orders, or insurance cards. She woman, the one that needed the medical attention, had nothing. Not even her Medicare card. The lady official asked her when the last time she was at the hospital was, they could look it up.

She said, “When I had him”, motioning toward their 30 + son.

The father/husband made the comment, “This place changed a lot since the last time we were here.”

A volunteer standing close by laughed and said, “Naawwww!!!”

He had his insurance and Medicare cards but that wasn’t hers. He could hardly walk so the volunteer helped him in a wheel chair and rolled him up to the admission office so they could get the paperwork straightened out.

Anna asked me, “What is he going to do now?”

I told her the volunteer was going to push him up to the admissions office for them to find her records.

She let me know it was what she was watching on CNN News she was asking about, not the old couple and their son.

Oh.

3 comments:

kenju said...

Well, I would have thought that too.
LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
I don't know if you and I are interested in people or just plain nosy. I can only speak for myself (as I look out the window at the neighbors).

Si's blog said...

Sounds like our visit. Except that most of the people were very vociferous about "knowing their rights" and what Medicare and the "govment" owes them.