Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Who is Next? What is Next?


I said yesterday that Betty Jo Stiles Garrett, 75, founder of Betty’s World Famous Hotdogs, now Brandi’s World Famous Hotdogs had died.

Two days ago James Lester Newsome, age 83 died. Mr. Newsome was my mechanical drawing teacher and shop teacher. He was also my coach on B-Team football.

As a student I watched him rule over unruly people and he let them know at the beginning he didn’t take any poo poo. He was as good as you wanted him to be or bad as you deserved.. Your choice.

I think he probably had almost as much hair as Willie B.., the Gorilla. His arms were covered wit hair and the base of his neck had the illusion of having about a bushel of hair forcing its way out from under the top of his shirt. He was a wiry man, small in statue, he reminded me of a comic book character named Aqua-man. They had a similar head shapes and piercing eyes.

One time at football practice he ran backwards in front of two fast players talking to them giving them pointers on how to run faster. That was impressive.

Mr. Newsome was from Alabama – which probably explains his thick southern accent.

I heard he died the same day he was put in hospice. I wouldn’t doubt if that was his will, going down with the ship, so to speak, instead of trying to keep the sinking vessel floating.

Within a couple of years my friend Paul and I were having lunch at Brandi’s World Famous Hotdogs and Paul looked over and said, “Look! There is Mr. Newsome!” He was sitting alone at a table eating. We picked up our hotdogs and Cokes and joined him. He was glad to see us.

He told us he was the president of a local bank or investing company, I forgot which. He gave us his card.

He looked as in top-notch physical shape as he did over 50 years. Little did we, or he, know his insides were rumblings with little cancer cells eating every thing in site up.

They say death comes in three’s. This time maybe the magic number three is revolving the hotdog eatery. Who is next? I hope no one I know is number three – In my eyes I couldn’t be number three because I am number One!

Another unrelated note – Yesterday, I had over 40 hits to my Brasstown Ball Postcard which was not anything very witty or informative or entertaining. Figure that one out?

What is next?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad day indeed. I think I need a chili dog in her honor - Johnny, is it time for a road trip from S. GA??

j3

Eddie said...

John,
I almost had some chili in her honor the other day. We had two hotdogs left over from the night before,the other day. I thought about calling Brandi and asked could you buy just the chili to go.

Willow, my dog, was looking at me with those big brown sad eyes, so I gave them to her instead.

kenju said...

I hope the third is no one you know, Eddie.

Eddie said...

Judy,

Me too.

But of course, the logistics are against that happening.
Why?
Because Brandi's attract older native Mariettans. Which, if you are elderly and native, you lived in Marietta when it was a small town and everybody just about knew everybody.

Carolyn said...

Wow, sorry to hear of those 2 passing on. The hotdogs sure do look good though. Is the eatery still open?

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
Oh yeah! Standing room only at 12:00 noon everyday.

Of course, Betty sold it to Brandi a couple years ago.

Anonymous said...

et,

You brought back a memory of one of the nicest coaches I ever had. Coach Newsome was always cool headed and treated everyone with dignity. He will be missed.

Eddie said...

Skip,
He did. He treated everybody with dignity. He was stern for those who needed it, but he was stern with a smile.