Friday, September 05, 2008

The SE Corner of the Square


I have this picture labeled SW Marietta Square, c1925. It must have been a typographical error because it is clearly SE Marietta Square.

Off to the upper left you can see the row of buildings that is West Park Square with stores that would eventually be named Fletcher's and Johnny Walkers, Inc.

See the trolley tracks and the old Model Ts or whatever? Of course, they were not old when the picture was taken.

On the left is a drugstore that sold Morris Candies and Coke. I am not sure of the name of the drugstore then. When I was old enough to know the names of thing, which probably was around 1944 or 45 it was Reynolds & Ferrell Drug Store. I don’t think the Ferrell owner was an old man, his son and I are about the same age.

Not that I remember, but I think the name of that drugstore before Reynolds & Ferrell’s was William’s Drugstore.

It appears that the picture was taken high up from the building across Atlanta Street, which would be Groover's Hardware - probably the photographer was on their roof.

In the late 1950s it became Kay Jewelry Store. There jingle on TV was “It was OK to Owe Kay”.

My senior year I took them up on that jingle and bought myself a Royal Manual Typewriter, and have been banging on one kind or another keyboards since.

Every week I took my coupon-payment book to Kay’s and made another payment. I helped we establish credit.

Now the store is an antique store. It always has some neat items in the show window, I usually make it a point to look in their window when I am in the area. They also have old used LP albums for a $1. I bought a used Aretha Franklin album there.

Another store I didn’t mind charging to was Johnny Walker’s Inc Clothing Store. I don’t remember having a coupon-payment book plan there. I think I would pay $5 or $10 on my balance whenever I thought of it. And I also bought something I wanted to wear whenever I thought of it…. It was a truly revolving charge account. Only thing, to pay on your account you had to climb up some stairs to a tiny little office was a little old bookkeeper took your money and wrote you a receipt and off you went back down the stairs to charge some more clothes.

Also, see the garbage can in the middle of the street? I wonder if drivers were suppose to lob their beer bottles and other trash in the can as they drove by?

4 comments:

kenju said...

I love the old cars and photos like that. They can be such a good teacher of history to us.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Yes it can! Or it is with me, anyway - a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,
I was looking at the picture real closely, and it looks like there is a very light dusting of snow. As you recall the street around the square was with brick pavers. You can't see any brick pavers. The picture is clear enough that you should be able to see them. Also each car has a white coating on top. I think that is why the picture was taken in the first place. Uncle Hebert used to keep a color framed picture in the barber shop, of the square of the '58 of '60 snow storm that hit. What do you think?

Eddie said...

Johnny,
I think you are right, it looks like a light snow.

I thought of that once while looking at the details - then I looked at other things and forgot...my tiny brain can only hold so much.