Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lost Mountain Store


The porch at the top step probably has my two buttocks print where I sat many times drinking a Coke and eating little Jack’s Peanut Butter & Crackers – or sometimes I bought a RC Cola and put salted peanuts in it.

Lost Mountain Store was a place we dropped by coming to and from Southern’s Lake. The owner Mr. Newt was always ready to carry on a lively conversation. We called him “Snuffy” outside of his hearing range.

More than once Mr. Newt shot and killed people who tried to rob him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The man who ran the store was Newt Sanford. He lived with his brother Ansel and his sister Effie in the two story house behind the store. The store building itself was built and owned by A.L. Bartlett before the turn of the century. The family maintained ownership of the building until the 1980s.

Eddie said...

Anonymous,

Thank you. That is the kind of information I like.

gary said...

snuffy why would you call him that it wasnt snuff but a chew of cannon ball i should know i spent my summers there with my grandmother effie and uncle newt anyone like to know more information feel free to contact me at gconway@floydcoga.org

Eddie said...

Gary,
I think the reason Newt was called "Snuffy" because of the popular-then comic-strip of mountaineer Snuffy Smith.