Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Brasstown Ball postcard


Speaking of Union County, this is Brasstown Ball, the highest point in Georgia at 4784 feet above sea level.

There is a Brasstown, North Carolina, not too far away. The Lance family that lived in Blairsville also had relatives and homes in Clay County, NC, which is where Brasstown is. I do not know if there is a connection or not – Lances in Union County and Clay County, near the town of Brasstown… I hope somebody knows.

I have been up to the top of the structure of Brasstown Ball several times over the years. About 1966, an old Navy friend, Don and I drove to the top. Don wanted the claim that he peed on Georgia’s highest point – he did. We and the Ranger were the only ones there. The last I heard he was a professor at the University of Illinois - so, maybe it caused good luck to fall his way.... which reminds me, I'm glad it wasn't windy that day.

No comments: