Thursday, June 19, 2008

Okefenokee Swamp postcard



Just south of Waycross, Georgia.

It is where Pogo Possum lives and many kinds of birds that make strange sounds all the time. The Indians said it was the “land of the trembling earth” It is not the earth that trembles – it just seems that way when you tremble. You tremble because snakes are hanging from all the low branch cypresses studying you… and in the dark water the gaters are studying you… and waiting.

One time about 1960 we were coming back from Daytona Beach with Harry and David… not the mail order fruit company – or maybe it was Bobby and David.. anyway, we were in David’s convertible, we were north of Folkston, speeding and we ran off the road and technically we were in the Okefenokee Swamp.. I remember plowing at a high rate of speed through bushes and foliage. I forgot if we had a flat or what…. But, we lived to tell about it. Really! See?


Also, besides Pogo, it is also the home of the Swamp Witch.

6 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Tell us about the swamp witch!

For several months, I've been trying to find a decent video on youtube about alligators but so far I haven't found one that I like. Man, are they ever scary!

Stories that I've heard, people disappear in the swamp - they go in but they don't come out.

Speaking of alligators, I've been chasing lizards all week and still don't have a decent picture - but I'll tell about it this weekend. lol

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I can picture the Swamp Witch in my mind - it is either a product of my imagination or I read a story of the Swamp Witch in one of the EC Horror Comics years ago.

Have you ever had 'Gater Stew? I had it in the last Taste of Marietta, samples from a Cajun Restaurant at 999 Whitlock Avenue.... I thought it was pretty good. That is how I prefer to meet gaters, all cut up and floating in a stew.

Si's blog said...

Home of Pogo! Now you have my attention. Is this a swamp witch I see before my sof' brown eyes? We just have crab witches up here on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

Eddie said...

Si,

Wasn't it Walt Kelley, creator of Pogo, who started one of your favorite quotes, "I have met the enemy - he is us." ?

Deborah Wilson said...

No, I've never had gator stew but I intend to try it one day. I use to have neighbors that moved here from Louisiana (in the 1980's) and they told me that gator meat was real good.

Given that I had never seen it in restaurants in Marietta, or anywhere around here, I never could figure out if they were telling the truth or *pulling me leg*.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Go to the little Cajun restaurant in the shopping center that Bubalini's and Garbriel's Bakery is in on the corner of Whitlock Avenue and Burnt Hickory Road and they have gater stew - or there is a good chance, they were dishing it out at the Taste of Marietta fest in 2007.