Sunday, June 01, 2008

Old Salem Cemetery, Union County, Georgia



This is the Old Salem Church Cemetery in Union County. It is almost on top of a very high hill or small mountain across the Highway from what was the John Hunter cabin that I posted many times on this blog.

I think everybody buried there is a Hunter relative. John Hunter is said to be buried here also, in an unmarked grave. John deeded the land for the church.

The first time I visited it we had to go up a long eroded dirt rode grown up with small bushes, we had to walk pat of the way. A year or two ago a new road was cut and we drove right up to it.

We will be in the cemetery’s neighborhood today, attending the Descendants of John Hunter Reunion. There will be many covered dishes of delicious foods, mountain style. And sometime this evening, I will be moaning and fussing at myself for not knowing when to stop.










4 comments:

kenju said...

I love going through old cemeteries. What I wonder is how in your last photo, that headstone can look so new - when it is over 100 years old, and some of them look ancient, and they aren't much older than that one?

Eddie said...

Judy,
The last two markers are new. They are husband and wife. A book was written about the the man and I have written several postings about him. He is the one that was beheaded for preaching against moonshine - so, I think maybe the local historical society probably had new ones made for those two because of the popularity.

Anonymous said...

The newer markers for John and Caroline Lance were placed there by John Berry, Jean Reece, Lillie Lance Casey and Robert Lentz

Eddie said...

Louise,
Thank you for that info. I added the picture you sent me to the Old Salem Cemetery file.