Saturday, June 28, 2008

Big Band and Big Chickens





note - click any of the pictures to enlarge. And also note, the picture above of the old Cobb Cobb County Courthouse. If you stand and look at it, in the same place you are standing, if you stood in the same spot say 115 years ago, you would see the same scene, in person. An elderly gentleman with a yankee accent and I figured that out... then, on the other side of the plastic Big Chicken Statue is the Lost Mountain Store. He asked, "Now, does that mean that store is used to be on that corner?" (only native Cobb Countians over 30 years old would get that. Lost Mountain Store is almost ten miles west of that point)

______________________________________________________________


We went to a concert on the Square last night. They had a band that played “big band” type of music. It was a nice change of scenery, or change of hearing. They played mellow type of crooning music with some lively swinging 40-ish music. There music was very relaxing and enjoyable. The crowd seemed more relaxed too.

Willow and I went over to reserved tables section to see my old friend M.C. This year he and his wife have been reserving a table right up front. He is a d.j. at heart and loves music... really, he is a d.j. at heart, he has part time dj business. He was there and had a cooler of beer. I only had one…. Last month on concert night I had another one of his beers…. My freeloading is getting to be habit.

Willow and I also wandered around and took some pictures, as you can see above and below. There seems to be a Big Chicken theme for Art in the Park, which is kind of unique – if you like plastic art. That is the above pictures.

When I sat back down with Anna I thought back when we were in high school one time on the 4-Lane at Clay Street (or Cobb Parkway South and South Marietta Parkway to the new people in Marietta) a car full of teenagers rode by and one of them shot us the finger. I don’t remember how, but we immediately identified them as Sprayberry High School Students, and I think they just as quick identified us as Marietta High School students. It might have been the SHS AND MHS jackets that was often worn.

So, somebody in the SHS car shot us a bird. To show them that we were not afraid of them, MC did a u-turn and got in hot pursuit of the car. At a red-light some cars were already stopped, so they could not run the red-light, which I think they would have if they could. We got behind them and jump out of MC’s car and we rushed over to their car and dared them to come out. They sat there with the car doors locked and looked straight ahead.

Boy, we looking mean, shaking the car, daring them to just come on out… there were four of them and two of us… we were brave weren’t we?

The light changed and they drove off, leaving us standing there. WHEW! I felt relieved.

Thank God they did not open those car doors. I probably would have screamed.

The pictures below are of the block I did on my blog about the stores across the street from the court house, such as Jimmy The Greek, NY Deli, C&M Army-Navy Store, so on, as the building looks today. The day I wrote about that block I did not have suitable pictures, so here I am, days late, and dollars short.

No comments: