Sunday, June 22, 2008

Across from the Old Courthouse tour


The above was Groover's Hardware, mentioned below.

We have heard some good things about a new eatery in downtown Marietta, Washington Avenue, or Roswell Street, from the Court House by the name of New York Deli. We also heard it was very crowded. We solved that problem by being ourselves… we arrived at 11am and just about had the place to ourselves. It was good…very good. I think we will go back. They had deli kind of sandwiches such as the Reuben, pastrami, and very good home-cut fries.

Two doors down my Uncle Spencer used to own a bonding company. Many nights I drove by and saw my uncle sitting there. Other times his son Jimmy was sitting behind the desk. Of course the bonding business is a risky business. I know a few times people that he put up the bond for skipped town before their court date. On at least two occasions my father went with him to hunt down the bond skipper. They went as far north as New York City.

In one of the store fronts, maybe this one, was one time a restaurant called The Black Satchel, owned by Hill Townsend, a friend of my father. I think Hill had hopes it would be a hangout for lawyers and politicians, being just across the street from the court house – it never happened.

Hill’s youngest son was a houseboat buddy back in high school.

Within a door or two in the 50s was a little meat market. A friend of mine, Parks had a relative that I think owned the place as teenagers we would drop in and visit or say “Hi” from time to time. It had a smell to it… fish and meat. Sawdust covered the floor.

While eating in the NY Deli I noticed the second floor windows about halfway up the street – it had strange looking dresses on display – like period costumes. The way I noticed them in the NY Deli while eating and looking out the window watching people pass I saw the reflection from the corner Cobb County Government building, that stood where the old courthouse use to stand – in their copper colored windows that they can see out, but you can’t see in, only a reflection I saw the dresses.

When we walked out of the NY Deli I saw a door leading up some stairs. Painted on the door was an sign advertising the period costumes upstairs. I wonder if they rent them or sell them? It seems period costumes mostly would have a one time use.

While we are on this block let me visit a few more stores of my past. Next door to the deli was a restaurant I think named Tres Joli. The same restaurant was one time named somebody the Greek. Nick the Greek? No, I think Nick the Greek was a play. The Greek restaurant’s owner’s brother owned George’s Restaurant on West Atlanta Road. For a while after we got married we got hooked on George’s prime ribs. They cooked the best medium rare prime ribs.

On the corner of this street was Groover’s Hardware, not it is Tommy’s Sandwich Shop, which is also a good place to eat lunch. Next Groover’s Hardware was a jewelry store, now I think it is a clock shop.

On down a store or two was C&M Army and Navy Store. I went there to buy my U.S. Army knapsack and sleeping bag when I joined the scouts. The owner I think was a Morris or Morrison and was one time the solicitor and it seems always was county official of one status of another. I may have some things mixed up confused, but I think when I turned 18 I went to that Army Navy Store to register to vote, which was directly across from the Courthouse.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Sigalos owned Tres Joli. Yes, George was his brother. John had a son Nick and a daughter Helen. They used to live on Hedges Street in Marietta.

Eddie said...

Skip,
Thanks for the information. Which you have furnished me before, but I am getting terrible retaining information.

But, I did remember they lived on Hedges Street!

Si's blog said...

I hope you are donating all this stuff to the town archives. What a treasure your memory is. "Terrible retaining information"? Bullhockey. Bullhcokey I say! Wish I could remember all the stuff you do.

Eddie said...

Si,

Bull poo-poo

Unknown said...

Et,

The Greek you are thinking of is "Jimmy the Greek's". Jimmy Duvalaris (sp?) went to MHS with my dad, and his daughters went to MHS with me. On my night of infamy in '90, Jimmy was willing to cash a check for Dad to earn my release from "detainment". Dad ended up not needing cash, but the gesture was nice all the same.

j3

Eddie said...

John,
Jimmy the Greek!
Thanks!
You indeed made your mark. And it pays to have friends with money near the jail.
Oh, by the way, that was a nice article. I haven't actually found the magazine yet, but I read the article on-line.

Unknown said...

Thanks. It was nice to be accurately quoted for a change. Newspapers never get it right. MAgazines do much better.

j3

Eddie said...

John,
It is those that quoted me accurately that comes back to haunt me.