Friday, June 20, 2008

American Apple Pie Kind of News Story


Can you think of any thing more Apple-Pie American than working in your garden? Well, maybe a beauty contest. And lets face it, Americanism is also capitalism. So, what person is a walking symbol for capitalism? I would say Donald Trump. Also what deals are made behind the closed doors sometimes seals the deal in capitalism adventures – and also lawyers ready to pounce – that is All-American too…. now, all we need is a television personality – wait, there’s one of those too!

So, sit for a fine true all-American Apple Pie story that include all the above:

Pike Nurseries of the Atlanta area was well know for it garden knowledge and integrity. Members of the Pike family were often on radio call-in show giving gardening advice to people who called in. We bought from them several times and it seemed each time we dealt with the female retired school teacher type – the kind that loved gardening.

Dalton, Georgia, had a beauty contest coming up called the "Resaca Beach Calendar Girl Contest." Resaca is a small town near-by and had its share of Civil War activity. In 1983 the "Resaca Beach Calendar Girl Contest." Was won by Marla Maples, who later became Mrs. Donald Trump.

Last year Pike Nurseries declared bankruptcy and a company from California bought them out. At that time Randy Pike was the C.E.O. Now, of course he is no longer affiliated with Pike Nurseries.

Randy Pike was to be one of the judges of the "Resaca Beach Calendar Girl Contest." In or near Dalton he attended a party hosted by the person sponsoring the beauty contest Dalton carpet pioneer Zack Norville, father of television personality Deborah Norville.
Ok – with me so far?

At the party was a photo session for the contestants in their two piece swimming suits. One lady observed that Randy was drinking too much and changing types of drinks. He went around and pulled down the bottom parts of two ladies suits. Another one he groped her chest. And one beauty said he told her he was going to be one of the judges and if she gave him oral sex…. And so on.

After the party, the police came to Mr. Pike’s motel room and arrested him for 8 counts of battery and groping several females… wouldn’t the groping be part of the battery?

Some of the girls are hiring lawyers preparing to sue. And you would never guess it, but Mr. Zack Norville said he saw none of what was claimed…. Not that it didn’t happen, it just happened without his knowledge – so, of course he cannot be responsible can he?

Of course, it is also American as apple pie to consider the accused person innocent until he is proved other-wise in a court of law.

7 comments:

kenju said...

That's some photo! I wonder who won that day? None of them look like likely winners....LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think I would have voted for the little girl.

Deborah Wilson said...

Good pic, Eddie. Do you know what year that was taken, or near about? I dunno, I think those swimming getups were horrible...check out the leg stockings?

Fashions always come back around, I hope these swim suits don't.

Deborah Wilson said...

p.s.

I use to like Deborah Norville but I haven't watched her in years - seems like she's kind of taken a back seat in Media. But I may be wrong, perhaps I just watch different channels now.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
No I have no idea when the picture was taken. I ran a google on "Beauty Contest" images and that picture looked to me to be the most interesting one.

I think the last time I saw Deborah Noville was not a show she was an announcer, but as an interviewee - she was telling how whichever networked she worked for dumped on her.

Si's blog said...

Neat story. That is why I never participated in contests for best looking man. Know they are fixed.

Eddie said...

Yes Si,

I think if I won a beauty contest it is what favors I could do for the judges... in my case, that would be cold hard cash.