Thursday, July 24, 2008

View From the Balcony


click on any picture to make it larger than it deserves.


Not too long ago I talked about our hotel we stayed at in the French Quarters of New Orleans on our last trip there. I mumbled something about showing you the view from our balcony as soon as I found the pictures.

I didn’t find the pictures but I found the negatives while scanning.

As I mentioned across the street from us was a bar where Rocky had his first legal drink. I forgot about the dog always in the doorway – the dog adds a certain laid back charm to the place.

Remember the movie KING CREOLE with Elvis? It opened with a person pushing a pushcart shouting “Crawfish!! Crawfish!!” That scene would fit very well down this street.

From our balcony looking north.



Here from street level you can see our balcony. It is above another bar, which is across the street from the one we went to. There was something about the bar that our room was above that made me not want to go in. When we arrived a gang of men with ball bats, short wood planks stood outside and jeered trying to get the occupants to come out. Later I noticed one person inside that had the built of a male, but with some sort of ballet outfit or something on.



The front of our classy ghostly hotel.





Our hotel’s courtyard fountain.





As you can tell, we don’t get out often.

8 comments:

kenju said...

I went to NO for a convention about 20-25 years ago. I could swear I remember seeing that hotel.

Eddie said...

Judy,
You may have. I think it is on the corner of Royal and I forgot what else, but it is two busy streets for foot traffic. Across the street not shown is a school house, which I think was in the movie "Dead Man Walking".

Si's blog said...

Those were truly spectacular photographs. You should make a coffee table book of your pictures which could sell for about a hundred a pop. Sent them to our daughter who goes there for Habitat. She paints, too. Those pictures would make the topics for some delightful paintings.

Eddie said...

Si,
Is this the same daughter that commutes by motor scooter? You helped raise a unique family.

Michael Bains said...

They really are very inviting pics, Ed. Showed what an Old World flavor there is to ol' NO.

Eddie said...

Michael,

The City of Music, drinking, style, and partying... with a dash of Catholicism thrown in.

Si's blog said...

Five great children, ET. A judge, a pharmacist, a muralist, a computer progrmmer, a college admissions associate (also artist). Each one more delightful than the other and oh so different.
The muralist is the one who went to New Orleans. The programmer has the Carolina blue scooter.

Eddie said...

Si,
You sound very proud. Good for you and even more so, good for them.